Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 95 Polaris Magnum 425 4X4, always thought about getting a sport quad but have heard they are high maintenance machines. The outlaw I'm interested in at the moment is a 2007 500 IRS. I am used to changing oil once a season and never having to adjust valves, etc.

So, are the rumors that sport quads are high maintenance true?

How often do you have to change the oil? What about oil filter?

Do I have to adjust the valves often?
Because that sounds like something I would have to have the local dealer do and they are charging $70 an hour right now so cost would add up quick.

Any other high maintenance requirements?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Generally sport quads are higher maintenance. The outlaw 500 with the polairs motor isn't too bad.

The outlaw 525 with the KTM motor is a maintenance whore. $17 a quart recommended oil, 2 oil filters, 10 hours max oil change intervals, etc. Crazy powerband though.

One the outlaw 500, you will probably want to dump the oil no more than 20 hours run time. One oil filter, dump the filter too each oil change. Valves should be okay unless you start having starting problems. I'd probably check them every other year. Not too hard to do. Since the clutch plates share the oil the engine uses, you will want to change it more frequently.

Clean and lube chain frequently - easy.
Flush coolant every 2 years or so. Higher reving, higher heat, smaller cooling capacity motors

The outlaw 500 isn't bad. I would stay away from the KTM motor though if you're worried about large maintenance. I love KTM, and I love their motor, but I saw so many neglected motors because of the constant maintenance need it had.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply blueline15!
I know this is titled outlaw 500, which im glad I got an opinion on, but what do you guys think of a 2000 polaris scrambler 500 4x4?
Found one on the local craigslist for $1800, heres what the post says, "2000 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 for sale. HRP exhaust, heated grips and throttle, ITP wheels, shockwears, new battery, clutch kit. Great condition, ridden less than 10 hours in past 6 years. Always stored inside. $1800". And the pics of it look great!

Is it a good buy? Are scrambler 500 4x4 reliable?

Reason im kind of leaning more towards a scrambler is because I use my atv 2 launch our jet ski and I dont think a 2 wheel drive sport quad would do very good compared to a scramy 500 4x4. And its nice to have the 4x4 option if I find some mud while out trail riding!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The 500 should be oil changed every 10hrs and valves adjusted every 40-50 hrs

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The scrambler is the same basic thing as the sportsman. Same bulletproof motor. I'd avoid the sport quads if you aren't very confident in the maintenance being done yourself. Gets expensive fast to keep bringing it to the shop. I know, I see a lot of really neglected sport quads and they are never happy with a $500-600 bill every time they show up. But they must not be to mad or they would learn to do it themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts