Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Need a little help here, the rear housing is bound up on my Outlaw and I need to figure out how to get to the inner workings of the housing where the right & left axle connect, I have it out of the frame but just have 'nt figured out how to get the rubber boots off to reveil the inner workings. Thanks , rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
one promablem you gooing to have after you get the snap ring out i found thid out you have to replace the boots at 50.00 a side then they usely just pull right out illl look though the shop maneuls i have the outlaw mike

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And with that... welcome to the board!:chairfall:

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a snap ring about 5-6" diameter that holds the boot on, then inside that there is another snap ring approx. 3" that holds the CV joint in. It's buried in grease so you'll have to dig the grease out and clean it up to find that snap ring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just replaced the inner CV boot on my 06 outlaw 500, pretty straight forward, until you come to the inner snap ring, i tried every tool i had to get under that sucker, finally decided to get creative, turned the snap ring until one of the ball bearing grooves was open, and started working a bar chain file to deepen the groove on the outside edge, just enough to get a tool under the ring, and it popped right out!
removed, cleaned, inspected, reinstalled with new grease and installed the new CV boot.

Rick, Ore :idea: :idea:

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have a '07 Outlaw 525irs and am just wondering about the things that i need to watch out for and the simple mods that i can make to better my quad. Any advice is greatly appr.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well i guess the weak spots the inner cv boots, a good rubber preservetive should be used and grease the pivit points where possable.
as far as mods? there's alot that can be done, slip on pipe, open up the airbox, better air filter, re-jet the carb, drop a tooth on the front sprocket. I have all of these on my outlaw 500, plus a programmable dynatek cdi.
just depends on how much $$ you want to spend, if you trail ride all the time, nothing wrong with leaving it stock, if you ride the sand dunes, a little extra performance never hurts!
I have 5 ATV's and all are basically setup with the same mods as above ( the outlaw's the only one with the dynatek)
hth
Rick, Ore

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 outlaw 500

I have a outlaw 500 and the right inner (brake rotar side) cv boot ripped. I took everything apart did the wheel bearings then went to tackle the boot and noticed my rotar was really loose. i took the snap ring out off the boot and started pulling the boot off and the smaller snap ring that holds the rotar onto the spline has popped off and just fell out and slid down the axel. i took the brakes off and the rotar slides right off. im no professional but to me it looks like the bearing has shifted out and wont let me slide the rotar back on enough to put the snap ring back on so i can go ahead with fixing the boot. any tips? please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, green horn poster, while on this topic I have a 07 polaris outlaw 525 irs and can not figure out how to take the rear axle housing apart to replace the barrings. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts