Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a. 2013 850 XP I put on ITP SS 112 wheels and 27 x 14 Blackdiamond tires 27x9 x14 on front and 27x11 x 14 on back. These tires run narrow but I still measure 52 inches wide. How strict are the trail police in Wisconsin . Has any one got a ticket for being to wide on trails? Should I worry about this? Thanks John

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Sux but if you are super concerned, trade in your wheels for ones with a 6+1 offset. Which is closet to stock i believe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the 50" limit is ONLY on Federal land. (Wisconsin)

Mine is wider and although my riding is limited on federal land, no one has bothered me. I don't think I have even seen any other riders on federal land.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am curious to as how strict they are. I am over 50 inches as well. I do most of my riding in MN. Also if they measure it do they do it with the suspension compressed or not. Because if I lift my bike up and take all of the weight off of it it is real close to the 50''.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Ya know I had kinda wondered the same. Its not a concern of mine, but has anyone ever seen on C.O. on the trails with a tape measure? Anyone ever been ticketed? I see SXS on trails the shouldn't be quite often.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
around here they have posts you drive thru...u fit or dont...sxs have a wider limit also...I think 60"...some places here have a 54' limit for ATV also....these are state run parks mostly..the private ones are a bit more easy on width...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never come across a problem in wi or seen a trail where your going too either my last cat with new tires and wheels was a tad over 50" rode the most popular trails anyways

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Whats the point of the 50" width regulation?

Especially if sxs's can be 60"

·
Registered
31 Posts
In WI on fed. trails there are posts you have to drive through but they are over 60" apart so my SXS easily fits between them. The ATV dealers like to tell us that the feds are in the process of changing the width rules, so they can sell their 3/4 ton 6' wide Polaris monsters to us.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
My opinion, for what it's worth, is if it is posted a 50" trail, and you are over 50", find somewhere else to ride where you are legal. I have no sympathy for those who get caught breaking the rules. It makes us all look bad, and gives them more ammo for closing down riding areas.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My opinion, for what it's worth, is if it is posted a 50" trail, and you are over 50", find somewhere else to ride where you are legal. I have no sympathy for those who get caught breaking the rules. It makes us all look bad, and gives them more ammo for closing down riding areas.

Amen. I want to keep my 50" trails. I think we have enough 10' wide " trails" around here.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Whats the point of the 50" width regulation?

Especially if sxs's can be 60"
Some of the 50" ( class 1 )trails in MN and WI are in very tight woods and are not meant for sxs ( class 2 ). There are many more miles of class 1&2 trails then class 1 only.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just gas it through the poles...lol
I bet the 2"s is more tire than rim. Worse case spit on em and it should slide right in....
well it works on the wife! :cowboy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
50 inch atv

We'll I just came in from adjusting my spring pre load, I jacked the machine up and put the shock springs on the stiffest setting and the machine now measures 50 inches. I hope it doesn't ride to stiff and rough. John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts