Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 98 Polaris sportsman 500. We took it out and It over heated in us. Sprayed the radiator out and it cooled back off. Well it sat for awhile while I was waiting on brakes and stuff like that. Got it all running and we was riding it for a bout 15 minutes and it got so hot it boiled over. Also when I turned the key on the fan came on. I was looking around and found a wire clipped. Pieced it back together and now my fan won’t come in at all. And it gets hot really quick in my opinion. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
T stat opening??

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
No - the 500 is renown for leaking compression into the cooling system via the head gasket. It leaks combustion gases into the cooling system, but does not leak coolant into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No - the 500 is renown for leaking compression into the cooling system via the head gasket. It leaks combustion gases into the cooling system, but does not leak coolant into the combustion chamber.
Also would the head gasket be leaking down the block or anything? The head gasket looks new but that don’t mean anything.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
In my experience it only leaks compression into the water jacket - no internal or external leakage of coolant.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A common overheating problem I remember having with the 99 was it was temperamental with purging the air from the radiator (burping) Elevate front end or park on an incline.Rad cap off, start engine,let idle 15mins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts