Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some comments regarding this one.

Was doing some casual trail riding this weekend with a few friends. About 30-45 minutes into riding my machines engine light started lighting up and the machine went into this "Stuttering mode" which the dealership says is to keep the RPM's low and protect itself.

The machine's radiator was clean and clear of all debree, i checked the Coolent levels and they were in operating range. The Fan would turn on from time to time. I would turn the machine off completely but then turn the key back into the on position so that the fan would run, but it would never turn back on after i shut the engine off.

Regardless i was extremely cautious and didnt want to ruin my machine so i had to get towed back by a Grizzly 660. I rode that day with a Grizzly 660, 2012 Renegade 800 and neither of their machines had any issues. I'm embarrassed at the very least.

Since this weekend i rode the machine around the yard for a very laps and everything seems to be functioning just fine. The dealership says i should bring in it and have them look at it. Could be a bad wire connection they say. Idk. Anyways this machine is 6-7 months old with around 200 miles. I shouldnt be having any issues.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Even if you could get the fan to run with the engine off, it wouldn't be helping anything. You might cool off the radiator, but the coolant needs to be circulating ie: engine running, to cool it off. Does no good to run just the fan.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did you just look in the overflow bottle for coolant level? Or did you pull the radiator cap?

If coolant levels are within range...and you did not see the coolant boiling, then it sounds like it could be an electronic issue. As mentioned...a loose wire, etc.

Please report back the fix...when you have one.

biz
:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If the temp warning goes off with the coolant at a reasonable temp it's probably the wiring or the sender.
If it's under warranty get the dealership to look at it so you have a record of the issue.

If you do a lot of your own work a No-Contact Infrared thermometer is a fairly inexpensive tool to add to your arsenal. You can get em for $16 all the way into the stratosphere. $20-$30 should get you a fairly nice one. Just point the red dot at the radiator coolant inlet or the engine itself and push the read button.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Was doing some casual trail riding this weekend with a few friends. About 30-45 minutes into riding my machines engine light started lighting up and the machine went into this "Stuttering mode" which the dealership says is to keep the RPM's low and protect itself.

The machine's radiator was clean and clear of all debree, i checked the Coolent levels and they were in operating range. The Fan would turn on from time to time. I would turn the machine off completely but then turn the key back into the on position so that the fan would run, but it would never turn back on after i shut the engine off.

Regardless i was extremely cautious and didnt want to ruin my machine so i had to get towed back by a Grizzly 660. I rode that day with a Grizzly 660, 2012 Renegade 800 and neither of their machines had any issues. I'm embarrassed at the very least.

Since this weekend i rode the machine around the yard for a very laps and everything seems to be functioning just fine. The dealership says i should bring in it and have them look at it. Could be a bad wire connection they say. Idk. Anyways this machine is 6-7 months old with around 200 miles. I shouldnt be having any issues.

Thoughts?
When you say 'check engine light' did you actually mean the red temp light?

I have been having issues with my '13 850XP Touring almost since new and the dealer has been working on it.

If you problem is similar to mine the temp light will come on, the bike will go into a 'stutter mode' as you called it. Now when I pull over I shut the bike down and noticed that the fan was not winding down...indicating that it was not running. But when I fired the bike back up the fan came on and I could take off with no issue.

So the next time it happened I stopped and checked the fan before I shut the bike down and it was not running.

I gave this info to the dealership. The adjusted the ETC switch, changed the fan relay and thermo coupler on the engine and went through all of the wiring but could never get the issue to come on.

They finally took it for a trail ride (as I suggested from the start) and the mechanic saw the problem happen. He diagnosed and sticky thermostat and replaced it. They took it trail riding for a good 40 miles with no issue.

I just got it back and haven't had chance to try it myself but I am hoping tomorrow after work I will take it out for a hard ass test ride for a couple of hours. Hopefully it was the thermostat and I will post if if it is still messed up. But if you your issue sounds exactly like mine then you might want to consider the thermostat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check to see if your circuit breaker relay is corroded or dirty. This has caused overheating issues on my dad's 08 sportsman 800 and recently to my 10 850 xp. Easy fix, but don't buy from dealer, its like $30.. buy from a parts store for $3.. lol It is the silver breaker wrapped with electrical tape by the fuse box on the main wire harness

Hopefully that helps.. at least its something easy to rule out

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem on my 2010 Arctic Cat 450. I would go for a ride on the trail, say 1/2 hr to a hour, and the overheating warning would start flashing. Long story short, wound up being the voltage regulator. I had 15.6 volts at idle, WOT 16.8. Replaced the regulator, no more problem. What I think was happening is the voltage was so high that it was making the temp sensor hot. I had all kinds of stuff done. Changed thermostat, drained radiator I don't know how many times, water pump etc. I would check voltage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you just look in the overflow bottle for coolant level? Or did you pull the radiator cap?

If coolant levels are within range...and you did not see the coolant boiling, then it sounds like it could be an electronic issue. As mentioned...a loose wire, etc.

Please report back the fix...when you have one.

biz
:)
The coolant was not boiling or anything to that nature so hoping it was just a fluke type situation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thoughts?
When you say 'check engine light' did you actually mean the red temp light?

I have been having issues with my '13 850XP Touring almost since new and the dealer has been working on it.

If you problem is similar to mine the temp light will come on, the bike will go into a 'stutter mode' as you called it. Now when I pull over I shut the bike down and noticed that the fan was not winding down...indicating that it was not running. But when I fired the bike back up the fan came on and I could take off with no issue.

So the next time it happened I stopped and checked the fan before I shut the bike down and it was not running.

I gave this info to the dealership. The adjusted the ETC switch, changed the fan relay and thermo coupler on the engine and went through all of the wiring but could never get the issue to come on.

They finally took it for a trail ride (as I suggested from the start) and the mechanic saw the problem happen. He diagnosed and sticky thermostat and replaced it. They took it trail riding for a good 40 miles with no issue.

I just got it back and haven't had chance to try it myself but I am hoping tomorrow after work I will take it out for a hard ass test ride for a couple of hours. Hopefully it was the thermostat and I will post if if it is still messed up. But if you your issue sounds exactly like mine then you might want to consider the thermostat.
Yea it was the red temp light, sounds like we have a very similar problem. I'm going to the dealership it's at that time where is should still be under warranty or very close to expiring. At the very least they can document the issue. Ill let you guys know what's going on as I myself am not that handy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, nothing exciting, just dropped my machine off should have it back in a week or 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had mine out for a couple of 50 mile rides since the thermostat change and no issues...looks like that might have been it. Let us know what your issue turns out to be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the dealership said the fan kept shorting and would trip itself because it was drawing to many amp and eventually wouldn't turn on anymore. Which I don't understand how this its self would cause the machine to overheat but anyways they ended up replacing the fan and the switch. I made fuss because the machine just came out of warranty. I haven't been on any long rides so my plea to the dealership was how was I supposed to know this was happening. They ended up doing a good will case were Polaris paid for the cost of the parts, I paid for the labor. A pretty fair trade I suppose. Machines back and running just fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts