Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out riding trails and mudding in my 2016 Highlifter 850 for a good 4 days while camping. On the last day I was riding I noticed I got a message on my Screen saying over over-voltage 16.9. This is first time it has happened to me and at idle it wouldn't hold constant idle. Would rev back and forth. I have a planet audio water proof speaker box with Bluetooth so I can play music on trails. Well I noticed my audio box started to mess up either going quiet or shutting off but it was fixed whenever I would wiggle the plug inside the car charger plug near handlebars. But it would go out again next bump I hit. Shortly after that is when I first got the over volt error pop up. I immediately unhooked my speaker box so that's not an issue anymore.

What would be going wrong here and how would I fix it? Could the audio box shorted out and drained my battery rendering the battery useless now? Should I get a new battery or could it be what I've heard either the voltage regulator or my stator?

Please help me out and thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
u can only test a battery when its fully charged so id charge it and bring it to a battery shop to get load tested first. Than test voltage output from regulator, must be around 14 volts with your radio off !!!
that thing must put a constant drain on your charging system. Maybe check the stator wires for damage/rubbing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
u can only test a battery when its fully charged so id charge it and bring it to a battery shop to get load tested first. Than test voltage output from regulator, must be around 14 volts with your radio off !!!

that thing must put a constant drain on your charging system. Maybe check the stator wires for damage/rubbing.

I'm not the best with electrical but I did test my rectifier and stator. Testing them both several times, they both passed and seem to be good. I don't know what is happening

·
Premium Member
7,415 Posts
How did you test each component exactly?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you you get over voltage it is your regulator you stator is putting out good charge otherwise you'd get low voltage and your regulator isn't regulating the charge goin to your battery. If it was low voltage there are other possible options but with over it has to be regulator.. Check out rm stator for new one they sell mofset brand I run 2 of them on my bikes seem at least as good as oem they claim much better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you you get over voltage it is your regulator you stator is putting out good charge otherwise you'd get low voltage and your regulator isn't regulating the charge goin to your battery. If it was low voltage there are other possible options but with over it has to be regulator.. Check out rm stator for new one they sell mofset brand I run 2 of them on my bikes seem at least as good as oem they claim much better.

Thank you! I've been thinking along this same line that my stator if bad would not be over charging but I didn't know any better. And yes I unplugged everything tested against ground and forward and reverse bias.

At this point I'll just go ahead and replace my rectifier and let y'all know if it worked. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pretty easy fix I did it without even taking plastic off because I have snorkels and radiator up high. Again check out the mofset it's a good bit cheaper then stock and I've seen a lot of stocks go bad and haven't seen any mofset yet haven't had them on out machines long but had great luck so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty easy fix I did it without even taking plastic off because I have snorkels and radiator up high. Again check out the mofset it's a good bit cheaper then stock and I've seen a lot of stocks go bad and haven't seen any mofset yet haven't had them on out machines long but had great luck so far.

Ya I've replaced rectifiers before on my other bikes but first time on this one. I've already got it pulled out and took some of my front plastics off because the wire runs from the very front of the bike to the middle of the bike near the engine and between the frame. I've got the Highlifter model so all the factory snorkels/airboxes are bulky and in the way. I'll end up poking a coat hanger or wire through the backside and pulling it back through center of the frame. Thanks for the help again I appreciate it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
[

Thank you! I've been thinking along this same line that my stator if bad would not be over charging but I didn't know any better. And yes I unplugged everything tested against ground and forward and reverse bias.

At this point I'll just go ahead and replace my rectifier and let y'all know if it worked. Thanks for all the help.

Just a fyi , a grounded stator will overcharge , it puts halfwave through the negative side { ground } , test the stator for ground before you order the regulator .

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
yooper - you just gotta explain this to me "Just a fyi , a grounded stator will overcharge , it puts halfwave through the negative side { ground } , test the stator for ground before you order the regulator".

By all my experience and what I learned getting my degree in electronics, whether the stator is shorted winding to winding or winding to ground, the output will drop. I need to know how the output will be greater. Does it depend on whether the stator is wound in Wye or Delta or is this true for either design?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I hope I'm explaining this correctly { been 45 years since I went to M.T.U. and if there's any Sheldon Coopers out there feel free to jump in ! } Normally the stator is isolated , but with a ground you have a circuit between the grounded stator { chassis ground } and the positive output of the regulator . Normally the stator will produce a minimum 25-30 volts ac phase to phase up 60 volts at higher rpm , but it's only half wave rectified from the ground to pos. reg. output so you wind up with half the voltage hence the 16-18 volts across the battery .
Even if my explanation isn't 100% correct I know it does this and it happens - lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[

Just a fyi , a grounded stator will overcharge , it puts halfwave through the negative side { ground } , test the stator for ground before you order the regulator .

When you say test stator to ground. Meaning test the continuity from the 3 wires to somewhere grounded on the bike correct? If so then I've already done this and passed.

I'm learning a lot here thanks again

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes , you want to check to ground , you only need to do only one of the yellow wires to ground , they're wired Delta . { internally interconnected }

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes , you want to check to ground , you only need to do only one of the yellow wires to ground , they're wired Delta . { internally interconnected }

I just went out and tested again. I am getting about .2 continuity from stator to ground. I tested against some bolts on frame and also the engine.

So I shouldn't be getting any continuity from ground to stator wire. Which means I am grounded out and my stator is the problem.

Correct?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts