Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm new here to the forums. Always been on forums for my truck and mountain bikes, but new for my quad. Haha. Alright, i've got a 2004 Predator 500 with a K & N filter, Big Gun Race full exhaust, and some form of jet kit. I'm not entirely sure because it's my dad's bike and he had someone install all this stuff when he first got it. I was a bit younger then, so i was stuck on a smaller bike.

The bike's been sitting in our garage for over two years now. I just got too busy with work and school, but lately i've gotten the bug to ride again. :D

I need your guys' help to tell me exactly what i should do to get her running again, please. I'm planning on doing this all tomorrow and saturday, but i'm gonna be running by the local motosports place tomorrow on my way home from school. I am by no means a mechanic, but i'd like to do this at my house for sake of costs. Hopefully i can get it running!

My list to pick up is: Yuasa battery (it's always gone through them like crazy), K & N oil filter, PS-4 oil, K & N recharger kit, dielectric grease, carb and choke cleaner, chain cleaner/ chain lube, and an NGK spark plug. And any tools i need for all that since our garage is a mess and i have no clue where a spark plug wrench would be.

Thanks for the help guys! I hope to learn a lot and be able to take care of my own stuff properly!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi , im new on here aswell , think you have most things coverd to be honest , fresh fuel will defo help , just start with , remove old fuel , clean carb , new plug , fit battery , then i would try to get it fired up , then when its warm , do the oil change , the only reason i say change the oil after its fired up, is because , i had a yzf450 that i had stood up for a year , did all of the above and changed oil , before i got it started and when it did fire up ,it pick up on the crankshaft , hence it knocked like a good un ! maybe some else will chime in and give advice aswell , good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, i appreciate the advice! I was just searching for the order in which i should do everything. Haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, somewhere around here. Haha. Last time i rode it was October of 2011. Give me a minute and i'll look for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice quad , needs stickers , lol , bet its a right laugh messing around in the sand , all we get in the uk is rain , mud and soon snow ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You think that's bad? It got worse! It's had crap stored on it so the plastic is all saggy now too. I may get new plastic if i get it running. Haha. Ah man, it's the greatest! Sand is what i learned how to ride on many years ago, so it's in my blood. Dirt's just a lot closer to where i live now. :D Yeah, that's what i've heard. My sister's there near London for grad school. Sounds cold too! XD You can't ride on beaches or anything there can you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
uk is a bit tight on the laws with regards to quads / dirtbikes , we got invaded in the last 4 years with the cheap chinese bikes , mini motos , so all the kids were buying them and ridein them around the streets , no helmets etc , so as soon as the police see a quad , they assume its an easy arrest , even tho mine is road legal , number plate etc , it can still be hard work with them , the quad is crap on the roads anyway , its at home on the mud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, i've seen that cheap stuff here too. Haha. Blows a bunch of idiots ruined what fun you had. That's pretty badass you've got yours set up for the street though man! I'm with you though, it's much more fun out in the dirt and wild where it was made to be. If i had the funds, i would've switched over to a dirtbike years ago and possibly tried to make it street legal. All my buddies have bikes anyway. Haha.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If the plastic isn't too bad, you can use a heat gun and reshape it. My buddy rolled his quad down a mountain and we got it looking a lot better with that method. Had to use some blocks of wood, pry bars, etc. But it turned out better than we expected it to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the idea man, I may have to do that tomorrow. Haha.

So, i did basically everything i wanted to do. I drained about two gallons of old fuel, got some carb cleaner into the carb, cleaned and re-oiled my filter, put the new battery on, changed the oil (the bolts underneath were a pita), and washed it. I noticed a small, dried puddle of oil under it when i took it out and there's a bunch of caked on dirt and sand under the engine, so apparently i've had a tiny oil leak somewhere. Didn't have time to find it, so that's on the to-do now.

Good news is, even without the spark plug change, it started and ran okay. With the choke on, the idle is how it should be, but when i take the choke off, i've gotta keep my thumb on the throttle a little bit to keep it going. Another thing is that when i rev it, it sputters, backfires a little bit, and basically hesitant, kinda like it's running out of gas. Any ideas? There's not a ton of gas in the tank, so maybe it just needs more. And i'm hoping to do the coolant tomorrow, if i have time, cause she's running pretty hot, even from just sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
you need to take your carb apary and clean it that gas sitting in there that long will varnish the inside of your carb clog your jets and mabye you needle/seat dirty and make your float not seat right causeing it to eventually leak gas out the overflow why it runs with the choke on is your jets are probably varnished causeing them to let less fuel through so your choke letting the extra fuel through compensates for it.......take your bowl off get everything soaked in cleaner or even just in a bucket of gas over night works, and spray cleaner and compressed air into every crevis most imp[ortant is jets, needle/seat valve for the float and any other fuel passage ways to the carb after that it should run like new unless something is warn out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, i'll give that a shot sometime soon. Thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts