Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, happy holidays!
So we had six inches of snow and I've been riding the Sportsman 500 pretty hard through snow and mud for the past 24 hours. This afternoon, Hot Engine flashed on the instrument cluster and when I stopped to let it cool, coolant was spaying out of the coolant reservoir.

Should I be worried and also, since my primary clutch refurb job, I still feel like the RPMs are higher than before the refurb. Example 4100RPM at 15 miles per hour. 5100RPM at 20mph.

Any input is appreciated.
Rwhite

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sounds like you clogged the rad fins with mud.

Is that RPM's while in low gear?

Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Matt,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the radiator and blow it out good tomorrow. Those RPM are in high gear. As for low gear, the RPM seems the range between 3500 and 4100 under 10 mph. It seems like the RPM's are starting to come down, but very minimally. Also, the clutch engagement seems to be a little sticky. That is it won't engage immediately. It's not bad, but noticeable.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I agree...sounds like the mud has clogged the fins up. Did you change anything when you did the clutch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clinbo,
Yes, I bought the EPI clutch rebuild kit and replaced all the parts including buttons, bushings the spring and the CVT belt. I didn't touch the driven clutch.
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New secondary spring then?

So would replacing the secondary clutch spring get me back to a lower RPM? I should mention that I have stock tires and not looking to change up to a bigger tire.

At this point, I just don't want to blow the engine due to sustained high RPM's (ranging between 4100 and 5500). My style of riding is relatively fast in open fields. I'll keep the mph up above 30+ over a couple miles.

Thanks for all the help BTW.
Ron

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
no, there are 3 ramp buttons that the helix slides on probably need replaced, have to remove snap-ring on back of clutch, then wind clutch spring 1/3 of a turn when you put it back together

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, there are 3 ramp buttons that the helix slides on probably need replaced, have to remove snap-ring on back of clutch, then wind clutch spring 1/3 of a turn when you put it back together
Thanks for the info Russ. I plan to take it apart this weekend and inspect the parts. Are the buttons similar to the Primary clutch buttons? And what sort of ware should I be looking for? With the primary clutch, all but one set of buttons were missing and I was careful to pull that assemble apart. Thanks again,
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts