Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Polaris 700 Sportsman. I am having trouble with it overheating. All of the fluids are good and at the right level. It overheats and sprays out water after the bike is turned off. It will do this even if the bike has been driven for 5 tp 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
700 Sportsman Overheating after turned off

I have an 06 Polairs 700 Sportsman. This bike is overheating after being riden for 5 to 10 minutes. No lights come on, but if I don't leave it idle for 5 or more minutes when done riding then coolant will spray our of the resivior. I have heard that there might be air in the lines. Does anyone have ny other thoughts on this problem????

·
Registered
3 Posts
well in the auto motive world it could be that the water pump is worn out. if its not flowing then its not cooling. However when you say it sprays out after you turn it off. that really does sound like Air in the SYSTEM. Check to see if there is a bleed valve somewhere on the case/engine. Also IT very well could be the thermostat. that is if it is sticking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you tried solving the air in coolant (air lock)?

I did the search on overheating, Dirty Dawg Dale wrote:

If the hoses are not warm that would tell me the machine is possible air locked. If this is the case jack up the front of the machine remove the radiator cap and fill with coolant. Then squeeze the hoses and see if any air bubbles come up to the top of the radiator. If it does keep repeating previous steps until coolant is circulating properly. Yes you should have the cap in the overflow bottle.

Good Luck!

Have you tried this? Seems to be a real common problem.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2007 800 X2 started overheating on us after 800 miles on the odometer. Took it in to two different dealers for warranteed repair - first dealer checked 1) radiator (which was clear), 2) took apart the water pump (which was fine), 3) said the fan was kicking at the right temp, and 4) said the thermostat was fine. They drained & replaced coolant to make sure there weren't air bubbles causing the problem. They didn't replace anything else, and said they couldn't get it to overhead when they tested it (although it would overheat on us each time after we got it home).

After giving that dealer two tries to fix the problem and they couldn't fix it, we tried a different dealer. This one said they were able to get it to overheat when they tested it, and they replaced the radiator filler neck and cap on the theory that vapor lock was causing the problem. However, after we got it home it overheated on us after just 5 miles. Took it back to the dealer again.

Between this overheating problem and a prior problem we had with backfiring (which turned out to be a module under the passenger seat that had a faulty wire - replaced with a heavy-duty module and took care of that problem), this machine has been in shops 7 times since we bought it in March of 2008. Wish there was a lemon law in Minnesota for ATVs! Have searched numerous forums for answers to this overheating problem and find LOTS of Sportsman owners are having the same issue without any solutions.

We're now convinced this model either has design flaws - too small of a cooling system for that motor - OR that Polaris needs to recall the ECM again for models newer than 2004-2005.

Bottom line: we traded in the 2007 800 X2 for a 2009 500 X2 since we've never had a single problem with our 2005 450 - we're hoping the 500 will prove to be as hearty as the 450.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a quick note...as far as overheating goes, i have seen quite a bit this summer, even tho it hasnt been extremly hot here. A couple things i tell my customers to check... take a good look at your radiator, around here we have a big problem with atv's running in tall grass, which sticks seeds in your radiator, causing it to not cool very well. Be sure your fan is running and sounds like a healthy motor, doesn't whine, gargle, or sound like sand is stuck in it. Use a garden hose when your' done riding and try to clean it the best you can. Polaris has a coolant overflow bottle, dont pay a damn bit of attention to it. Take the time to actually remove your radiator cap and visually check the coolant level. Most people will from day to day fill the overflow and have no idea that the coolant is seriously low. My big problem with twins this summer has been base gaskets. Check your oil, make sure it's not over full and be sure there is no sign of coolant entering the oil system. These are just a few things i've seen in the last couple of weeks. Hope it helps a little. let me know if i can do anything else

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Sportsman 800 efi 2-up touring machine, i rode it for a half hour the other day in 25 degree weather ...in the snow too.. when i stopped the engine was tinging and making cool down noises its never done before, i put my hand on the hoses to the rad and the top hose is hot and the bottom hose is warm, but the radiator is ice cold... so I touched the valve cover and it was very hot !!!!! Im assuming the thermostat is working seeing how the upper hose is hot... My buddy's sporty 500 was cool and the radiator hot during the same ride ... Any ideas ? Anyone !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Sportsman 700 efi that is overheating. I tested the fan an it works, the thermostat and block sensor work, and the radiator coolant is full (and the over flow reservoir is filled). I have never had any problems with my bike and is well maintained and serviced on schedule. I have had several people tell me different reasons why they "Think" the bike is overheating, but nothing solid. The dealership in my town is crooked and dishonest. So, I'm looking for an honest answer and some direction to resolve the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts