Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 scrambler 850, have posted before but hoping for some new answers. Bought it, put a few hundred miles on it, no issues. did wheel bearings and bushings with some other maintenace, including all fluids. all good for 100 miles after approximately. (rode a whole weekend at tall pines atv park) came home, cleaned it all up, went for a ride and after about 45 mins of riding, suddenly, started overheating. let it cool, took off again, overheat again. towed home. now, what i have checked: coolant was full to the top from the time it first overheated. ive had the water pump cover off twice. tried all new hoses. tried a friends rad/fan. tried same friends ect sensor. coolant does circulate. noticed header glows red after only 5 mins of runnning or less. possibilities in my opinion... fuel pump, down to about 52 psi from 58 spec, plugged exhaust, dirty oil (wouldnt think so with 100 miles on it, but possible)... open to ideas, ive been down for months already and basically had to walk away from it for a bit until now. local dealers no help.

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Well I know exactly what your problem is!!! You rode at Tall Pines!?!?!?! You need a new radiator. Buy a HD all aluminum welded rad. Not the pressed crap design. I think SuperATV sell them for the Sporty/Scramy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And that logic doesn’t make much sense, my rad is cleaner than yours I bet. Etching wheel cleaner, good as new.

·
Premium Member
8,219 Posts
Missed the swapped rad part. Right like the previous post questions fan cycling?? Also you don't mention the thermostat opening!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
How do you know the coolant is circulating? And is the fan coming on? A glowing header is not uncommon if viewed in subdued light. A steel tube head pipe is carrying 1500 degree exhaust - what temp does thin steel start to glow at? Put a cast iron header on it and it will not glow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you know the coolant is circulating? And is the fan coming on? A glowing header is not uncommon if viewed in subdued light. A steel tube head pipe is carrying 1500 degree exhaust - what temp does thin steel start to glow at? Put a cast iron header on it and it will not glow.
i dont recall u stating if the fan is kicking on or not ?
the fan kicks on eventually if i just let it idle but it never kicks off then the temp light follows. if i take the cap off and rev it a little you can see coolant come out of the top passage of the rad. also i have taken the upper hose off and turned it over and moves plenty of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts