Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 550 X2
We went riding today and the X2 got hot and shut off. After it cooled a bit, it started. While running, the temp light was on and the fan was NOT running but I could see the fan "jerking" every once in awhile, like it was trying to run.
Anyone had this experience? Any ideas what I should check 1st?

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
its your Fan, my bearing were worn/locked up, so it would not spin to cool. I removed the fan and sprayed lube let it soak and it worked....none the less..... I did replace it with with a new fan and fan shroud because the fan i had they didn't make any more. All the new POPO's had a different fan. easy to replace just cost like $160... I did mine for $130...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
most likely its the front fan bearing...it gets dirt in it from mud riding an sand or silt....some times it can be cleaned some times not....but to try cleaning it..remove fan motor..remove blade...hold motor shaft side down..spray some brake cleaner in bearing area while running so the dirt runs downwards...then if running free add a drop of 3-1 electric motor oil to bearing with shaft in up right position and run it so oil travel in bearing....this may be just a temp fix or fix it..I have done this to electrical fans that had same problem an worked most times..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot people! I'll go out and see if it spins freely. If it doesn't, just order a new fan. Sounds easy enough, unless in spins freely... Well, I'll cross that bridge if I come to it:veryhappy:
Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope this isn't too dumb of a question but...

How do I test if it spins freely? Should it spin freely either way? Can't easily get a finger on it. Just shove a stick in it and try to spin it? Blow compressed air thru front of radiator?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hope this isn't too dumb of a question but...

How do I test if it spins freely? Should it spin freely either way? Can't easily get a finger on it. Just shove a stick in it and try to spin it? Blow compressed air thru front of radiator?
compressed air should spin it easily enough

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the exhaust end of a good shop vac will spin it....put the hose on the exhaust and place as close to fan as you can...it has a large volume of air

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, my fan does not spin freely. Where should I look to order the fan? I know the dealership will be too expensive. Also, will the shroud come with it or do you order the fan separate from the shroud?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts