Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***See post #30 for update 10/20/13 ***

I've been having overheating problems with my 2013 Scrambler (and it's not mud in the radiator). I was reading several threads and it sounds like this problems is not uncommon and a common cause is the fan circuit breaker (oops I called it a relay in the title)
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-scrambler-xp/43542-overheating-issue-2013-scrambler-850-xp.html

While investigating the issue I discovered that the hot air from the fan blows onto the circuit breaker. Its very possible that the heat is causing premature breaker failure.

I decided to order a slightly different breaker (with a manual reset in a plastic housing) and relocate it to a cooler area of the ATV. Using 10 awg wire and the products in the pic, it's done! The new location is under the display housing - should get plenty of cool air there.

So hopefully it works - just wanted to share the pics before I went to bed....

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I like what you did here. I hope people take the time to see what you've did to correct a problem were having. There ids a basic design problem with the fan relay. The biggest is it can act like a resister and that's why people are experiencing a fan that barely turns and pulls air. There supposed to open when overloaded and close all the way when they cool down but because of moisture and oxidation there not, only making a bad problem worse. Easiest fix and one the factory will try is to replace it.unfortunately most techs don't have enough common sense to figure out what's going on, miss diagnosis the problem and your left with another over heating machine. This post looks like a great fix to the problem. If polaris was smart they would go to a different design like a sealed or relocated one. Just a few thoughts :)

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like what you did here. I hope people take the time to see what you've did to correct a problem were having. There ids a basic design problem with the fan relay. The biggest is it can act like a resister and that's why people are experiencing a fan that barely turns and pulls air. There supposed to open when overloaded and close all the way when they cool down but because of moisture and oxidation there not, only making a bad problem worse. Easiest fix and one the factory will try is to replace it.unfortunately most techs don't have enough common sense to figure out what's going on, miss diagnosis the problem and your left with another over heating machine. This post looks like a great fix to the problem. If polaris was smart they would go to a different design like a sealed or relocated one. Just a few thoughts :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any thoughts on the factory shortstop type 1 (auto reset) breaker vs shortstop type 3 (manual reset) breaker? Also, any opinions on a metal vs plastic housing?

The new breaker was a direct plug-in and it worked great but i havent run it relocated yet. I'm heading to "lost trails atv park" in PA this weekend so ill be riding for 6-7 hours....hope it goes well :)

Greg

·
Registered
531 Posts
how much was said breaker where can i get one?

·
Registered
531 Posts
also what are specifications on this breaker?? and waht stops me from changing it out with a inline fuse??? like what is the reasoning for having it other than getting hot and breaking??? im a electrician so like i understand what it is.. but why cant i just go get a 20A water proof inline and call it a day? ( FYI...IM just PICKING BRAINS not trying to be difficult..)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I don't know if the 10 amp breaker will be big enough

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if the 10 amp breaker will be big enough
A 12volt 10amp breaker is stock and I replaced it with another 12volt 10amp breaker. The only difference is the factory breaker is an "auto reset breaker" in a metal housing....this is a "manual reset breaker" (push button) in a plastic housing. Same company makes both of them.

I went for the first ride today....it worked perfectly with no issues. I have an all day ride planned for Sunday - that will be the real test. Will probably put 6-7 hours on the machine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got mine from this company:
Circuit Breakers : Surplus-Electronics-Sales.com, Your source for hard to find parts!
....but they only had 4 left and I bought them. I saw some on ebay. The stock breaker is a 12volt, 10amp.

Are you having the same problem with the breaker overheating?

also what are specifications on this breaker?? and waht stops me from changing it out with a inline fuse??? like what is the reasoning for having it other than getting hot and breaking??? im a electrician so like i understand what it is.. but why cant i just go get a 20A water proof inline and call it a day? ( FYI...IM just PICKING BRAINS not trying to be difficult..)
Good question - I don't see why an inline fuse wouldn't work. I guess if the breaker didn't overheat it would be better than the fuse because it "resets" and doesn't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got mine from this company:
Circuit Breakers : Surplus-Electronics-Sales.com, Your source for hard to find parts!
....but they only had 4 left and I bought them. I saw some on ebay. The stock breaker is a 12volt, 10amp.

Are you having the same problem with the breaker overheating?

Good question - I don't see why an inline fuse wouldn't work. I guess if the breaker didn't overheat it would be better than the fuse because it "resets" and doesn't need to be replaced.
i honestly dont know.. the other day i was running a little hot went into limp mode once and i got home a noticed the RAD was caked (not really a surprise) so i cleaned it out well and let it idol for about a hour... well i went to hit the throttle and it was flashing over heating again.. so i noticed the fan was barely turning.. i swapped out the relay and the fan runs fine now.. but ide rather swap that out just to be sure

·
Registered
531 Posts
i went ahead and bought some 15 amp ones if that breakers gunna blow its gunna blow... 5 amps wont make much difference.. i bought a few cuz im gunna have all my buddys swap their out who ride polarises thanks for the thread big help

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think polaris has upgraded them to 20amps because of the problems everyone is having. There pretty common and can be found at any AutoZone or pepboys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think polaris has upgraded them to 20amps because of the problems everyone is having. There pretty common and can be found at any AutoZone or pepboys.

That's worth looking into.

My buddy just got a 13' leftover today and his had the 10. I wonder if the 14's have a 20.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from a 9 hour 61 mile ride in Little Monadnock State Park in NH. No over heating - YAY! Fan seemed to kick on at full capacity like it used to when the machine was new.

So.....I guess it's safe to say "problem solved"

Now I just have to fix the other things I broke today :disappointed:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just got back from a 9 hour 61 mile ride in Little Monadnock State Park in NH. No over heating - YAY! Fan seemed to kick on at full capacity like it used to when the machine was new.

So.....I guess it's safe to say "problem solved"

Now I just have to fix the other things I broke today :disappointed:
Did you relocate it? or leave yours in the stock position? I was trying to find out what part it is on autozone. Also, was wondering If I should just relocate or change mine before I get a problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.