Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I have a 2016 sportsman 570 eps, when it is hot outside, 90 degrees+, it will overheat.
I have changed the radiator cap and it has a new thermister,. It seems to me that the fan is not running as often as it should.
Is there such a thing as a lower temperature sensor thermister? Something like a 160 degree versus a 180 degree thermostat in a car? I believe that, if the fan were running more often and longer that would help.
Any help?
thank you

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,771 Posts
Likely your rad is dirty. Take your time and clean it really well with water. Once dry, hit it with some compressed air to remove further debris. Then spray some degreaser on it and hit it with water again. You may also want to remove some plastics and clean the engine if any dirt and debris. If you ride in water or mud, it will have accumulated all over and acts as an insulator holding in the heat.

You can get a tune that will turn your fan on at a lower temp. Haven’t heard about a low temp stat, but that would be good for sure.

Reactions: DandyRandy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Likely your rad is dirty. Take your time and clean it really well with water. Once dry, hit it with some compressed air to remove further debris. Then spray some degreaser on it and hit it with water again. You may also want to remove some plastics and clean the engine if any dirt and debris. If you ride in water or mud, it will have accumulated all over and acts as an insulator holding in the heat.

You can get a tune that will turn your fan on at a lower temp. Haven’t heard about a low temp stat, but that would be good for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You,, for the response.
I will try the flush although I have not put 20 hours on it since I put in a new radiator and changed all the fluid.
Forgive my ignorance,, what did you mean by, " get a tune to turn fan on at lower temperature".
Thank You

·
Registered
991 Posts
Over heats as in ??? temp light comes on?,limp mode kicks in? Fan running? Recovery reservoir overflowing ?
You took a good look at the rad and its not plugged up?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I will try the flush although I have not put 20 hours on it since I put in a new radiator and changed all the fluid.
Forgive my ignorance,, what did you mean by, " get a tune to turn fan on at lower temperature".
Thank You
With that said,,,,air in the rad. Burp the rad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes light comes on and the machine will go to limp mode. Fan runs for awhile then shuts off.
As I said, I will go through the radiator if I have to. Although fluid looks new, you never know it could have a blockage.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,771 Posts
Thank You
There is more to the story! You put in a new rad, so it is more likely that you have an air pocket in the system as its likely not dirty. You’ll need to burp the system.

A tune is an electronic computer device that you purchase and connect to your machine. You are then able to modify certain components of the ignition system to improve performance. RVS Performance offers a tune that will change the temperature that your fan turns on at to help it run cooler along with changing your air/fuel mixture ratio to gain more HP. There is a world of information on tunes that you can research if your interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is more to the story! You put in a new rad, so it is more likely that you have an air pocket in the system as its likely not dirty. You’ll need to burp the system.

A tune is an electronic computer device that you purchase and connect to your machine. You are then able to modify certain components of the ignition system to improve performance. RVS Performance offers a tune that will change the temperature that your fan turns on at to help it run cooler along with changing your air/fuel mixture ratio to gain more HP. There is a world of information on tunes that you can research if your interested.
Thank You again for being so patient. I now have a good list of things to keep me busy.
I will see what I can find out about the computer device. That sounds incouraging, along with the burp idea.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
815 Posts
I always run 93 octane ethanol free in the summer time to help as well. 87 burns a little hotter . Plus at least the 93 will help keep the detonation away especially if it’s running hot.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Add a switch to the instrument panel preferably one with and idiot light to remind you that it is on. Run a wire to the fan so that you can run the fan when you want it to run.

·
Registered
991 Posts
FYI ,,,get the overheating solved before a tune.
When it overheats have you looked at the coolant reservoir?Does it still have coolent in it? No overflowing reservoir, No loss of coolant?
Is there any part of your oil dipstick that has broken off ?(the bottom inch or more?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI ,,,get the overheating solved before a tune.
When it overheats have you looked at the coolant reservoir?Does it still have coolent in it? No overflowing reservoir, No loss of coolant?
Is there any part of your oil dipstick that has broken off ?(the bottom inch or more?)
Thank You once again for your help. all of these are things to look at.
Right now it is 80 degrees and it is only 8:00 AM. I do not have a cool place to work so
I am going to wait a couple days to work on it.
Thank You All again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts