Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My muffler is fugly n rusty. Is there any paint I can paint it with that will last a long time? Which is the best? Do I need to take all the rust off?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Use a high temp paint. They sell stuff at places like lowes and homedepot that's for painting gas grills. That's the stuff I use. Works well. And yes, take all the rust off or as much as you can. Wipe down with paint thinner or lacquer thinner to remove any oils or grease

·
Registered
806 Posts
Heat resistant engine paint. As mentioned earlier, prep it right.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Locally at TSC (Tractor Supply Co) they have 1200F for grills and 2000F paint for exhaust systems. Since the muffler does not get as hot the 1200 may be OK but I prefer the 2000F degree paint for the same price. It all smokes on the burn off.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Rustolium Stove Paint. Has much higher temp rating than engine paint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Think this paint would hold up to the header pipe on a 800. Something I would be interested in. Mine is rusty and bad looking.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Rustolium Stove Paint. Has much higher temp rating than engine paint.
How much over a 2000F degree exhaust paint?
Well I do not know!
At the time I read his question, you had not posted your response yet. You did however post it while I was typing mine. If yours had been posted I would not have even responded, because you had already supplied a good solution.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
John Deere Muffler paint the best there is, we use it on the race sleds and have temps of 1500 degree's allot more then a ATV will ever have and it stands up
and as far as the rust clean it good and run a 3m pad ovr it

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Mine looked fugly too, so i tried this from harbor freights RustOleum 12 Oz. Rust Reformer Spray (Item #67970 $5.99) then let it dry and put this on: High Temperature Paint Spray - 12 Oz., Flat Black (Item #60781 $3.99), the first product makes it really easy to apply the second without any elbow grease-EZ and cheap! I like the flat look myself for exhaust. I use this on the whole exhaust pipe and any other black item needing some paint on the quad. News it up... :cowboy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts