Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I was gonna paint my Sportsman 500 and was wondering, for the primer: Do I have to use plastic primer or can i use wood/metal primer?
(I know this sounds dumb but I have some wood/metal primer already and was wondering if I could get away with using it)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Primer

Trombly as a profesional automotive painter for 20 years. I strongly advise U to take the time to go to your local napa or carquest and get a spray bomb plastic primer . If your spending the time to paint then the extra 15 bucks for primer will be in your best intrest. Other wise its gonna come off . What year is your four wheeler and if you want to make the paint job last I can point you in the right direction . I check the forum daily so if any ? just ask

·
Registered
45 Posts
dupli-color ---- part#cp199 adhesion promoter if you are going the spray can way.
If you ride the mud and woods that paint may come off no matter how you prime it new plastics may not be a bad thing.
good luck and show us some pics of your newly painted ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i used a primer called bulldog i paint my race quad with it it works and hold really good have some crack now but no peeling yet about a 8 month now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alright here it is :)

Thanks for yours guys' responses! I ended up just scuffing up the surface with sandpaper, don't worry I didn't totally blow off the primer idea. I figured if this doesn't work, ill go that way :fingersx: .
So far Ive only done half of it, just testing to see how it goes.

I used rustoleum truck bed liner, also painted the exhaust with high temp flat black rustoleum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
here is a seat painted with fabric paint,the plastic was painted with fusion.both have got a hundred miles on and doing well,,,,,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just picked up a 00 scrambler and the paint is faded pretty good.im on the fence about painting it or buying new plastics.suggestions on the correct procedure for this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can also use vinyl , i like those ones that are camo:cool2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts