Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing my friends 04.5 500HO with the red control arms, and the XP 850HO, and RZR 1000, I really want to paint my control arms red.

Would the easiest way be to take them off, sand them, and spray them? Not sure how much masking I would have to to to paint them on the chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are going to take them off then get them powder coated, I don't think spray bomb paint would hold up very good

·
Registered
209 Posts
Aren't they just painted?

Yes but a totally different paint process, you will never get the paint adhesion like factory. Just like a car you can't beat the factory finish for durability

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't they just painted?

Yes but a totally different paint process, you will never get the paint adhesion like factory. Just like a car you can't beat the factory finish for durability
Actually, you can. Anything we have ever painted, we used sir craft paint, once painted and cleared, way better than any oem paint.

If powder coating is crazy expensive, may paint them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Will, the guys on the southern Polaris riders group on facebook do it all the time. They take them off and hang them by wire to do it and they come out great. Not sure how many coats they do but I'm guessing it's a few.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will, the guys on the southern Polaris riders group on facebook do it all the time. They take them off and hang them by wire to do it and they come out great. Not sure how many coats they do but I'm guessing it's a few.
Thanks a ton! I will post the powder coating quote here when I hear back.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Would look good but mine are covered with Ricochet guards and dirt.
Would not be worth the effort to me.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would look good but mine are covered with Ricochet guards and dirt.
Would not be worth the effort to me.
You never take them off to wash it??

Another reason I have not gotten a set, they would be 2 1/2 season at best...

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a quote, $250-300 to Powdercoat my control arms, with clear coat, and then $40 a pop to do coils.

When i upgrade to HL coils, I may get them done, but we will paint the control arms ourselves, clear included.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got a quote, $250-300 to Powdercoat my control arms, with clear coat, and then $40 a pop to do coils.

When i upgrade to HL coils, I may get them done, but we will paint the control arms ourselves, clear included.
Wow that seems a bit expensive, my son got his 2 racks and bumper done on his cat for I think $80 but that was black. Maybe being different colour and cleared makes a big difference

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow Will, can't blame ya for just painting them yourself at that price. Even w my ricochet on I can still see the colors btw.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow Will, can't blame ya for just painting them yourself at that price. Even w my ricochet on I can still see the colors btw.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I may get A Arm guards eventually, still sittingbon the fence, as they will be 2 1/2 season use at most.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts