Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen similar posts, but...

I'm looking at painting my 04 sportsman 600. I really dont want to replace the plastics with the other colors available through Polaris. I'm looking for a flat black finish from front to back, or something similiar.

Question 1) Has anyone ever tried rhino lining on plastics? If I took it to them to paint, i wonder if their lifetime warranty would apply?

Questions 2) Has anyone ever tried to powdercoat their plastics?

Any and all suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't work. Cars are all plastic now. Would need to rough up the surface so you didn't have the clear coating on it. I have used Polyurethane to touch up where I have scratched off the finish. Worked for me and you can't see the difference but I wasn't changing the color.
Item 2. I just looked on Google. There are companies that do powdercoat plastic. Look at this site: http://www.wrightcoating.com/services/powder-coating-plastics/default.html . I don't know anything about them but it is a start for your answers.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It depends if your plastic is painted. if its not painted then its color impregnated plastic, and this can not be painted and made to last. the uv protectants that protect the color from fadeing in the sun wont allow paint or whatever to adhere to it. It wont fly off but any time a branch or any thing rubs against it. The paint will come off.If its painted then simple preping and cleaning will work . If you want to use rhino liner and your on a budget get a red scuff pad from a napa or autozone......etc. degrease with actone or automotve degreaser if you got it and apply to the directions. and if your uncertain if its painted or colored impregnated plastic take some sand paper around 320 or so and sand in a spot that you wont see, the bottom of a fender and if the color stays the same its impregnated plastic if you see layers its painted.
The plastics on cars are mostly polyolifins. and they come primed from the manufactures,or bare plastic for some imports, which is a whole diffrent matter i digress. plastic on cars are not the same as color impregnated plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with a friend that works with Rustoleum, they have a plastic aresol that I might try. I'll clean with a mild solvent and scuff sand. This paint he recommend is supposed to fuse with the plastic. Guess we'll see.

Let's say this doesnt work and the paint does not hold up, does anybody offer aftermarket fenders for the sportsman? Will other year models or body types fit? Again, I have an 04 Sportsman 600.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
check with blueline he,s really good with parts for polaris, as for the arosol try a small spot first . let it dry as per directions and sand a little spot and if it doesnt peel when you sand on it you have decent adhesion, I dont know how durable it will be down the road though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go Vinyl, Ive seen someone paint impregnated plastics and it does just what Chopper89 said it will do. Scratch like a lottery ticket. Have you considered Vinyl, its expensive compared to rustoleum but cheaper than a new fender by far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Craig, are you suggesting a vinyl paint, or having a sign company custom make a vinyl sticker to wrap the plastics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've dealt with painting boats some, gelocat is kind of the same deal, very hard to get stuff to stick to it.
You have to use a special primer that kind of softens the gelcoat and then bonds with it to get a paint to stick.
Also you are abosulety waisting your time if you are not spraying a paint that has a hardner in it. It's going to look like ass in a hurry. Also polyurethane based paint sticks much better to surfaces like this. It's a lot sticky'er.
You're only other chance is to do camo. You could do a flat black camo pattern with a couple different shades of black and gray that would look cool. Also touch ups would not be a prob. You'll just have to get the rattle can out once a year or so and add a little more pattern.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i talked to a local sign company about camoin mine and he said if i would bring the plastic pieces to him it would only be about $200.00 to wrap it. he suggested to paint the inside of the fenders with rustloeum flat black paint. he said that he has quality vinyl that would hold up pretty good. trust me spend the extra money and wrap it. if you want it to look good and last long. i painted the fenders on my old 400 ex and it sucked. the slightest little thing would scratch abd show the old yellow underneath, and my friend is a body man and he helped me prep it. just my opinion

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wrapping is a great idea. I could have one of the first camo sport quads. Might be a neat thing to do

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've seen similar posts, but...

I'm looking at painting my 04 sportsman 600. I really dont want to replace the plastics with the other colors available through Polaris. I'm looking for a flat black finish from front to back, or something similar.

Question 1) Has anyone ever tried rhino lining on plastics? If I took it to them to paint, i wonder if their lifetime warranty would apply?

Questions 2) Has anyone ever tried to powder coat their plastics?

Any and all suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Thanks

Josh
I am surprised no one has said anything yet , I want to see you put your plastic parts in a oven to bake the powder coat and watch what happens !!! Rino is very brittle your plastics are flexible as soon as it bends the rino will chip off. I have Painted plastic on cars and ATVs but first of all the plastic is different between the two Polly urethane/rigid plastic act different when painted. You can buy flex agent for your paint but only really works for the auto industry .What I found works best is a can of fusion plastic coat this stuff is even scratch resistant . I also have wet sanded my plastic bike/ATV parts from 320/2000 then used Micro finishing compound and buffed to repair faded or scratched plastics (works similar to fogy head light repair)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I cleaned and sanded mine with 320 grit paper, then put on 3 coats of krylon fusion paint. So far I've ridden through some pretty heavy brush a couple of times and it still looks really good. The best part is that when it does scratch, I can just sand the spot and hit it with the can again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You have to prep the plastic the correct way to get paint to work. Atv plastic is very oily, matter of fact the first time I shot paint on atv plastic it was like I never even cleaned it. It was instantly full of fish eyes and runs. It was like the plastic repelled the paint like rainx does to water on a window. Since I have painted many atvs and gotten it to work quite well.

First off clean and sand the plastic. SAND ALL OF IT. Bottom, top, corners and edges. Once the plastics are sanded and clean apply an adhesion promoter that states it is for use on polypropylene. Ive used mostly Transtar 1034 and have not had any problems. This stuff bonds into the plastic and creates a layer ready to prime and paint. Also, I prefer a polyurethane single stage paint. Base clear gets too hard is more prone to cracking of the clear coat. It also seems to be more work than its worth for a trail atv. If your building a dune machine them maybe the base clear would be better.

DONT bother rattle canning your atv. These paints are too soft at first then too hard with age. You may make it look decent for the time being but you just setting yourself up for hours upon hours of stripping and sanding, and in the end you WILL regret it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I painted my plastic. So far so good. I put clear coat on mine also. If I get a scratch, I just wet sand it with 2000 grit sand paper. I used a red scuff pad and comet (Yes the cleaner you use to clean your tub's and shower's) Scuff it all up really good. Rinse it all off and then do it again, and rinse. Biggest thing to remember is like thomasj said. Make sure it is clean, clean, clean. Then we used some dupont cleaner and degreaser prep rag's we had at work. They make two kind's. One for plastic, and one that will change plastic color. (I think, never used it on plastic so not sure what it will do) I dont think it will matter as you are going to paint it anyway's though. We used the one for plastic. As you wipe with these rag's, do not let it drie on the plastic, or it will fisheye when you paint it. Wipe it clean a few time's. You want it as clean and grease, oil free as possible. Once you are done, get a tack cloth and wipe it all off. This get's all the little fiber's and lint off from the prep rag's. Blow it all off and go over it again with a clean tack cloth. Make sure your shop, or whereever you are going to paint this at is clean, or when you blow it all off, and then paint it, you will have trash all in your paint, and it will look like crap. Then we sprayed it all with a plastic Adhesion Promoter. This is what I used and where I got it from.

Klean Strip Bulldog Aerosol Paint Adhesion Promoter GAL - eBay (item 280619280514 end time Feb-20-11 07:21:52 PST)

We put two coat's of this on and waited about a hour. This act's as a primer also, so no need to buy primer. Went back over it with another tack cloth. We then sprayed 2 coat's of dupont green metallic 5000 series paint on it with 25 gram's of extra metallic out of a gallon I had that I never used for a project. Let it drie, and clear coated it. We put 4 meduim coat's of dupont premier clear on it. All in all it probably would have been cheaper to just buy some good plastic off ebay or something if I had to but the paint and clear, but I got it for free. I think I have about 75 buck's into mine. It look's awesome, exspecially with all the metallic in it. I am not sure how much a quart of paint from them is, but I know I got a gallon of blue in the 6000 series's, and our dupont rep said it was $700 a gallon. A little over priced I think. If you can get everything for a decent price I would say go for it. I have no regret's with mine. If it ever start's to look bad, I will just sand down the clear, and reclear it again as long as the scratches are not to bad. I know you can get a gallon of flat black all over the net for around 60 a gallon so it should be a little cheaper as you will only need a quart as long as it is unreduced. If I can find my cord for my camera I will snap some pic's of mine and post them on here. I painted mine almost a year ago, and it still look's good. Most of the trail's I ride are cleared out pretty good, so that help's a little too. Hope this help's. If you got any question's let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts