Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 700 efi last time i was out i noticed it was difficult to get in or out of gear , today ran over to the neighbors and heard a clicking after i put it in park ,when i got home the same and the quad rolled a little so i got off and rolled it back and forth while in park with a clicking sound?? hope someone has heard of this .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check the adjustment on the shift linkage, its possible that its not going into gear all the way. If that fails follow the linkage back to where it enters the transmission and take that little cover off, under that cover there is a 11 tooth gear. Check that that is all in good shape, I stripped 3 teeth off mine and lost all gears or the ability to shift gears I should say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Arsenal, shifted it a few times sometime it locked in park sometimes not will have to take apart on weekend and check out the gear

·
Registered
200 Posts
pulled it apart this am and 3 teeth broke of gear
Good to hear that you got it somewhat figured out. Let us know how the install goes, When you put if back together make sure the tranny is in neutral or the most middle position possible because you have to make sure the gears stay together through the whole range of shifting ie High all the way back to reverse. so in neutral the gears should be aligned directly in the middle of eache. Also to make it really easy there is two alignment dots on the 11tooth gear and one dot on the other, the one dot goes between the two dots. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will have gear friday also will check what is discussed on ( hard-shift-850xp-2011) it may be what caused the problem to start with ,always good advice on this forum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well got it back together shifts good when off , removed the clutch cover and noticed after first start up the belt does not turn, after reving the engine and engaging the clutches when I let it back to idle the belt turns and the driven is turning slowly. can stop it easily with a little pressure on driven. pulled drive off and cleaned with brake clean everything moves good the one way bearing moves smooth and locks up however noticed there is a space between the sheaves and the one way it moves back and forth about an 1/8 " . there are also small cracks in on the bottom of the one sheave , not sure if that maybe the cause.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That makes sense because as the engine spins faster the drive clutch squeezes in on the belt causing it to move then driving the driven clutch, When the engine is first started its hasn't spun fast enough to engage yet, until you hit the throttle then it engages but doesn't disengage 100% which makes me think that the main spring in the drive clutch might be worn out and not pushing out enough anymore.

As for side to side play I wouldn't worry about that, my 400 does that as well and it has a small space at the bottom of the sheaves on the driven clutch as well. As for the cracks they may be molding lines as all that is is cast aluminum and rubber from the belt may have gotten in them, but if they look like they are separating or truly cracked I would replace them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts