Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course there are the big OEM Polaris parts sources that I have tried and always got what I ordered. Sometimes for the $8 part the $16+ shipping charge is more than I like to pay but do understand why the charge. Found some smaller Polaris part sources may not give the small discounts like the other guys but may have free shipping or say $6 to use US Mail which is of interest in many cases.

A wild card source I find is like Ebay sellers. It is not just the 'unknown' factor but some with an attitude may be selling a lower quality part based on info and pics by the seller at twice the price of another Ebay seller with better detailed info and photos. I am finding Ebay shopping from time to time can really pay off. Where sales tax is collected or not and carry a lot of weight but DC will leave that field soon I expect so all sellers collect taxes.

Now I know professional shops are just going to go with new parts for several reasons but for the guy that is just trying to get/keep his older ATV's up in good repair a used part that still within Polaris new part specs is fine with me.

The price of some new parts can make scraping a basically good machine. I do get this is just a fact with many things yet I still like functional machines at a low cost plus it is a hobby. :)

While I know a guy who claims he is doing well selling used parts and I think it would be interesting to do (for a while) if done right there would be some overhead and long days bidding, hauling and stripping ATV's. Then there is the posting of pics and writing good copy for the listing and the shipping.

The guy I know is looking non stop for machines to buy and part out, pulling, listing parts and trying to get shipping dropped off by 8 pm so they go out that night. I am sure this is why the bigger operators have to charge more due to all of the work and overhead.

Anyone ever bought a 'parts' machine for their on private use?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I have several parts machines for a couple of different things I own. Old snowmobiles are hard to find parts for. I shop a lot of stuff on eBay for my customers. I have no problem putting used parts on a machine to save a customer some money. Just put a used write games in a 2012 rzr 800 for a guy. Had a short in it and was cheaper to get a used one from a parted out 13 with 4 miles on it. $150 shipped vs $850 from the dealer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a big savings and made good sense. It is the dealerships that may not be so interested in using used parts unless the owner provides them.

The 2002 325 4x4 we picked up with the bad engine knock (from blown oil cooler line) had so little wear on the chassis we have decided it is would be better to just fix the engine for a learning experience. But at $500 it would be an great parts machine. Since it has good compression the top end may still be OK.

When one is doing their own labor going used does make a lot of sense because if a part does not work out you do not have two labor bills and twice the experience. :)

It sounds like the folks in your area are lucky to have a repair center like yours to get service.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The local Polaris dealer here will use used stuff too in many cases if you ask them to. They are a small hardware store that has been a Polaris dealer since the late 60s. And the head mechanic has been there since he was 14 in 1972. But the next closest dealer that are multi brand and have 100,000 sq/ ft showrooms are a totally different story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts