Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all we have a problem, we were trying to make a home made clutch puller and used a piece of all-thread and got it stuck inside the clutch any ideas on how to get it out?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ouch!

Have you tried double Nutting it?

Be careful as I imagion your stuck in the threads for the crank and most folks ain't gonna have a piece of 3/4" fine all thread...

CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That's not going to be fun or cheap I bet. Chances are it cross threaded into the end of the crank where the retaining bolt threads in to hold the clutch on. try double nutting the rod and welding them onto the rod and thread it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the all thread that we used was 1/2". We just used it as a spacer for our 3/4" fine thread bolt to push against. The 3/4" bolt did not seem to be pulling the clutch off using an impact wrench. We were getting aluminum shavings so we quit. When we took the bolt out of the clutch, the all thread was/is stuck in the crank. Can't grab it, magnets won't pull hard enough. Kinda stuck here. Plan on working on it tonight and just wanting to see if there are any ideas to try.

·
Registered
311 Posts
maybe drill and tap the rod with a reverse thread tap and use a reverse thread bolt and use inpact in reverse(counter clock-wise). sounds like you may have spun the 1/2" in with the 3/4" and more or less threaded the 1/2" into the clutch

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The impact tool probably provided too much torque and striped the aluminum threads. If the rod is just laying inside the crank you could use a smaller steel rod and a strong magnet stuck to it. Or a smaller rod and epoxy to latch on to it. If it is threaded in to the crank you may have to drill it and use an easyout to back it out of there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone. We got it last night. I had an industrial vacuum generator laying around the shop and we used it. The magnets would stick to the sides of the clutch housing and cause the all thread to stick. The vacuum pulled it far enough that we could use two screw drivers (like chop sticks) and then needle nose pliers. Interestingly, the all thread was bent--pretty bad-- and we had to actually "screw" it out because it was also mechanically binding in the hole. We screwed in the 3/4 bolt and it feels pretty snug, so we are hoping that the threads are OK. I'm going to take it to a local after hours ATV mechanic to have the clutch removed so that they can use the tool that is made for this. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
This its exactly why I believe in using hydraulic pressure instead of mechanical pressure to pop a clutch off if the correct puller isn't available. You could fill the hole with grease and then use the 3/4 bolt to pop it off. Makes a mess to clean up, but works great.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just pulled my clutch this weekend. What I used was a 3" long 3/8" extension with a shallow 11mm socket on it, along with a 6" long 3/4"-16 grade 8 bolt. Just plan to sacrifice the extension and socket. I didn't use an impact wrench, just a 1/2" ratchet and the top half of my floor jack handle for leverage. It worked just like a 2-piece clutch puller. Had it off in less than a minute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts