Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a small problem getting some parts of the atv, there is a valve lifter with associated shims, is this something you know more about? my local dealers couldn't find anything about it in their system part number on the valve opener: 3085994
shims: 3086017
you happen to have no more info on this diesel engine? is old and outdated but as a polaris enthusiast, it had been fun and gained some more knowledge about this engine, thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
VW used a similar shim on top of bucket (lifter) for valve adjustment on the 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8L eight valve watercooled gasoline and diesel engines. The cam lobes drive directly down on the shim. You adjust valve lash with shims to adjust the distance between the base of the camshaft lobe and the lifter with the camshaft lobe straight up. I checked valve lash at around 10,000 mile intervals. Usually they were in spec for about twice that.
Usually the actual lifters don't get much wear in those engines. If the bucket is worn significantly the bore it rides in is worn as well so the head is trashed.

·
10,665 Posts
Yeah Hatzie while I was looking around I ran up on some of those lifters that were listed for Subaru and other Asian diesels that looked like the same part. I'd guess that there are cross-over parts that would work if he could figure out which ones.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If the lifter bore is worn you could bore it out to fit a larger lifter bucket. You'd need to mic some OHC buckets from various possible donors and get a machine shop that's willing to bore the head to mate with the one you like.
It'd be a bit of a balancing act too. You don't want to interfere with the nearby camshaft lobes and you don't want to cut into the water jacket or an oil gallery.
The other downside is the oddball lifter wouldn't use the same shims.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
What is the dia. of the shim in mm - I have a collection of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha on top of bucket shims

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

this is what I came up with a slider, it should certainly be a little more accurate

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That lifter bucket appears to be fairly clean. If the bores and the rest of the lifters are that clean the lifters are just fine.
Hopefully you haven't mixed up the buckets and shims. The lifter buckets are worn into the bores effectively mating them... the shims will be various thicknesses from the last time the valve lash was taken care of. If you stirred up the shims it's not going to be as easy getting the valve lash back in spec.

Look up the acceptable valve lash for the intake and exhaust. They'll have an ideal lash with a +, -, or ± tolerance range. ex 0.006" ± 0.002" NOT THE ACTUAL LASH FOR YOUR MACHINE but that's how it's written down in the service lit for shimmed OHC on top of the lifter valves.

Pick a valve and measure the gap between the base of the cam lobe with the tip of the lobe facing straight up in the same plane as the valve stem using feeler gauges. This is the actual valve lash.
As long as the measured lash is between the specified values you can leave that valve alone. I usually rotate the cam and measure all for or six or eight or ... and write them down.
If one or more is out of spec, calculate the min and max needed to put each one back in spec, measure the existing valve shims, add or subtract (depending on whether the lash is too small or too large) the min and max lash difference from the measured thickness. A dial caliper ain't going to measure these well enough. You need a micrometer to do this. If you don't have a Micrometer then hopefully the part number or thickness is etched on the shim and still readable. A machine shop may be willing to measure them for you if you ask nicely but you'll likely pay them to do so.
Look at the available shims and order the one(s) that'll place your lash somewhere between the specified min and max lash.

The shims are available to purchase in thicknesses between 1.900 & 2.800

Not all the shims are available so keep the ones you take out.
If I needed one that's NLA I'd put one I didn't need on the surface grinder and take a few thouhandths off til it was the one I needed.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Sorry, that is an odd one - I have 7.5, 9.5, 25 and 29mm shims - the 7.5 and 9.5 are under bucket while the 25 and 29 are on top of bucket shims, but I have zero 32mm shims

You will have to shop Polaris and Ebay for the shims you need and as hatzie said, keep the old ones - sometimes you can move one shim to another valve to get the clearance you need and reduce the number of shims you need to buy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the answer but it is an equal bucket like this one i need, it is equal for there is only one part number on the exhaust and intake valve, is why i have one of them but i should have had one, for the other one i have been crushed in the machine when I bought it

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
A call to Polaris might help - I have heard the engine was adapted from a marine application - if Polaris could divulge who made the engine, you might be able to chase the parts down. Best bet would be to try to find another Polaris diesel for parts or take the bucket you have to a machine shop and have them make a mate for the one you have.

·
10,665 Posts
My understanding is that Its a 455 Fuji marine diesel engine. I did a quick look and there's marine suppliers out there. That's the reason I was pointing out earlier that I'd run across some Subaru diesel lifters that looked the same but I didn't find dimensions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already tried to contact polaris norway, eu, uk and usa to them only replies that it has expired from the warehouse, have also tried to contact fuji but they had no clarification to come with them either, so I am soon empty for ideas

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My understanding is that Its a 455 Fuji marine diesel engine. I did a quick look and there's marine suppliers out there. That's the reason I was pointing out earlier that I'd run across some Subaru diesel lifters that looked the same but I didn't find dimensions.
Is it a Fuji Heavy Industries Robbins/Subaru engine or a Yanmar? I've heard both but I've never seen one in person.
Fuji used to put their corporate symbol on the head and block castings.
My 1984 Subaru GL Hardtop had the 1980's Fuji Heavy Industries corporate logo cast into the transmission and engine castings and IIRC it was also stamped into the tin Identification tags including the VIN tag on the dash.
Fuji is the Right Centre logo between Hino and Mazda.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'd keep my eyes open for a parts donor. Let your friends and folks you trust in the business know you're looking. I've had bits-n-pieces find me after I almost gave up looking for them.

Maybe post a "parts wanted" listing for Polaris 455 Diesel head parts in the for sale area.
There are four Polaris Facebook groups. Maybe make a parts wanted post in them as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuji. engine after what i though, they were bought and merged with subaru in recent times, i have posted on several forum pages and various other ones too, so tomorrow i will call around to some mechanical workshops, to hear about some there can help me to either create new parts or drill it up to a more quirky dimension, then you can actually take a full overhaul with new valves and seals once they are in operation

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Fuji. engine after what i though, they were bought and merged with subaru in recent times, i have posted on several forum pages and various other ones too, so tomorrow i will call around to some mechanical workshops, to hear about some there can help me to either create new parts or drill it up to a more quirky dimension, then you can actually take a full overhaul with new valves and seals once they are in operation
Fuji is a massive multinational company.

Subaru was owned by Fuji Heavy Industries at least as far back as the mid 1970's quite possibly almost or from the beginning of the company.
Subaru bought Wisconsin engines somewhere back in the 70's or 80's and I believe Robin was the name thereafter.
This is an underhood automobile trim tag from a 1990's Subaru... Note the Fuji logo in the lower left next to the Japanese characters. The oil fill cap and valve covers on my 1984 GL had the Fuji logo stamped into them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is more correct, had not read the facts so accurately.
but it must be a weird engine because I've studied all the engines I've found on the web made by Yanmar, Subaru, Fuji and Robinson and almost none of them are fluid cooled, or have valves and camshaft mounted like this my engine, them usually have rocker arms, so I almost wonder if this could be a licensing product or a prototype, which wasn't made by many

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've talked to him already, he only had the parts that are on Ebay, he also thought that Ebay was probably the greatest opportunity to find something

1 - 20 of 31 Posts