Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am from MN, this year I have to keep the ATVs and RZR in a storage unit. There is no power for a tender unfortunately. I plan to do some riding over the winter. I am trying to decide if I should just take the batteries out, leave on tender and reinstall as I ride (kind of a pain), or just start them up every couple weeks (assuming the batteries make it that long without dieing.. lol)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
A healthy battery shouldn't die over a couple weeks time. However, I doubt starting them every couple of weeks will really help in terms of charging the battery unless you actually ride them for some amount of time. Best bet is to keep them on a tender, especially if you're not going to be riding but a couple times over the winter.

·
Registered
819 Posts
How cold is the storage location ?

I haven't changed my battery yet (almost 4 years) and have never used a tender. It starts great in winter. Sometimes it sits for 2-3 weeks if there is no snow.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would say take the batteries out and put them on a tender in your basement. It is hard on the machine to just leave it idling and the battery does not charge very fast. I almost think it does not really even charge unless your moving, but I am sure someone can correct me.. That way too if you can't make it out for a couple extra weeks then you don't have to worry about anything..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.. yeah I think the best would be to just remove them. IIRC, the stator requires some kind of kinetic energy to charge the battery. So at idle they would not be charging anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say take the batteries out and put them on a tender in your basement. It is hard on the machine to just leave it idling and the battery does not charge very fast. I almost think it does not really even charge unless your moving, but I am sure someone can correct me.. That way too if you can't make it out for a couple extra weeks then you don't have to worry about anything..
You doing any winter riding in the coming months? If so, let me know. Would be happy to join. :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I will keep you posted, last year I rode in the winter with Techbud and J_ekhoff... They are on the facebook page too. I see you didn't end up selling everything, Glad to see, that would have been a mean kick in the shorts.. How you liking that rzr? My son wont even sit on the ATV anymore, so we have been having a blast on on the RZR. I still need a trailer though, DOH.... We typically just transport it 2 or 3 times a year, so for now just borrowing trailers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will keep you posted, last year I rode in the winter with Techbud and J_ekhoff... They are on the facebook page too. I see you didn't end up selling everything, Glad to see, that would have been a mean kick in the shorts.. How you liking that rzr? My son wont even sit on the ATV anymore, so we have been having a blast on on the RZR. I still need a trailer though, DOH.... We typically just transport it 2 or 3 times a year, so for now just borrowing trailers.
Awesome. Yes, very grateful I did not have to sell off everything. I want to hit the Cattail and Wild Rivers in WI. I will prob do the Cattail this weekend. Love the RZR. Coming up on 600 miles and 40hrs. Have had zero issues luckily. I seem to have just missed all the fun people were having the last few years. Although, I believe those are mostly related to 1000 turbos. The amount of bad press around all that has been rough for Polaris. I would be even more upset getting the insult of a $250 voucher (to just spend at Polaris anyway.. lol) and $1000 credit on new. Especially since the new ones now are cheaper than the 14/15/16 were even after the credit. This likely makes lots of negative equity for those who financed. Sucks.

Anyway.. My favorite thing on the trail edition is the fact I can take it down any Class I trail. I have been able to go everywhere the ATV has so far. And technically, I am few inches wider than 50" since I have upgraded wheels and tires. For the trail, it is more roomy and comfy than I expected. Now granted I have never driven a 1000 or S so I cannot really compare. I suspect those are quite a bit roomier.

With that said, would I replace my ATV with a SXS? ABSOLUTELY NOT! While the SXS has its obvious benefits, it just doesn't replace the experience sitting on an ATV and feeling more "wide open" and in control. Both have different rider experiences and I am glad I am able to enjoy both.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Awesome. Yes, very grateful I did not have to sell off everything. I want to hit the Cattail and Wild Rivers in WI. I will prob do the Cattail this weekend. Love the RZR. Coming up on 600 miles and 40hrs. Have had zero issues luckily. I seem to have just missed all the fun people were having the last few years. Although, I believe those are mostly related to 1000 turbos. The amount of bad press around all that has been rough for Polaris. I would be even more upset getting the insult of a $250 voucher (to just spend at Polaris anyway.. lol) and $1000 credit on new. Especially since the new ones now are cheaper than the 14/15/16 were even after the credit. This likely makes lots of negative equity for those who financed. Sucks.

Anyway.. My favorite thing on the trail edition is the fact I can take it down any Class I trail. I have been able to go everywhere the ATV has so far. And technically, I am few inches wider than 50" since I have upgraded wheels and tires. For the trail, it is more roomy and comfy than I expected. Now granted I have never driven a 1000 or S so I cannot really compare. I suspect those are quite a bit roomier.

With that said, would I replace my ATV with a SXS? ABSOLUTELY NOT! While the SXS has its obvious benefits, it just doesn't replace the experience sitting on an ATV and feeling more "wide open" and in control. Both have different rider experiences and I am glad I am able to enjoy both.

I agree, that is why I kept my ATV, it is in good shape and still fun to ride... I went the S as I mostly ride with Mavericks and full size Wildcats so we are not typically hitting tight trails anyway. So I can corner a little faster and not worry about tipping, but you and I know cornering is controlled by your foot... And as far as cab room they all have the same cab, the only difference is that the doors on the S and XP's bow out for a little more mid section room, LOL.... I am sure if you add the lower doors that you could get an S door if you wanted (that does make you a little wider)

I will be sending my ECU to RVS too to get the tune done to it for the extra ponies, but to be honest, these 900's really do not need much more at all..

Oh and Yeah, I skipped out on buying mine new so I don't get the voucher until I go to one of the dealers that I shopped like crazy and did not buy from and have them do an ownership transfer through Polaris, I don't know why Polaris wont accept my Registration and receipt of recalls...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Yeah I may get those lower doors. I already added some goodies which you might have saw. Agree on the 900 power. Plenty enough for me. But I plan to do the RVS flash on my 570. The heat is ridiculous. I cannot believe there has not been a recall. I think if I had to do it over I might serious consider the S. I have heard the S is a much smoother ride. Which would not surprise me. The trail is pretty rough. But I have the larger wheels and tires. I think that could actually be helping compared to the stock ones. I'd love to compare if we can find a time to meet up! ;)

I plan to get out this weekend. Where in Minneapolis are you? I am in Blaine off of 65 and 125th.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I got everything spit polished for winter, so doubt I will be riding this year or at least until winter or after hunting season. But yeah we are neighbors now, I think you used to be in Lino or something... I grew up off 65 n 125th... I am actually just in Andover off bunker lake n 65.. So real close to ya!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got everything spit polished for winter, so doubt I will be riding this year or at least until winter or after hunting season. But yeah we are neighbors now, I think you used to be in Lino or something... I grew up off 65 n 125th... I am actually just in Andover off bunker lake n 65.. So real close to ya!

Very cool. Yeah I was in Lino. We will have to meetup!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd also have to agree with many of the others.... If a tender isn't an option, pull and put in the basement on a tender. And the periodic start isn't a bad idea to keep the upper engine components lubricated and to prevent seals from drying out... but won't really do much for charging/maintaining the battery.

As for your below statement.... I couldn't agree more!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you are going to start it over the winter which I do with my quads and sleds in the summer, make sure you run them until they are warm enough for the fan to kick in. Other wise you create condensation that sits around in the all the nooks and crannys. Tender is the best but if you cant, remember that to charge the battery the RPM needs to be over 2000.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Starting every couple of weeks will do more harm then good so just remove the batteries and charge them once or twice for the winter and everything will be find.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stupid question.. Can you just hold the throttle at 2000 rpms to charge or do you actually have to be moving?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Stupid question.. Can you just hold the throttle at 2000 rpms to charge or do you actually have to be moving?
just hold throttle open to 2000rpm

the wife and kids quads don't get used during the winter, so basically 7 month storage from the fall put up until next spring. I siphon all the fuel out, start the quads and let them idle until they die. Remove the batteries and wait until next year, I do same thing with all my seasonal stuff, yard tools, boat motor, snowmobiles, etc...never had issue and they all run as good as new the next year, for many years.

But as mentioned, you HAVE to allow the machine to get hot to burn off any condensation, which is counter productive because soon as you shut it off and close the door, it'll be cooling down and building up condensation again if it's in cold storage, so obviously counter productive in reality. Best bet, just remove the battery and stick it in your basement on a shelf and replace when you want to ride, that extra 2 minutes is easier and less toxic on the oil in the machine and less rust prone that the start up/shut down all the time.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have never done anything with the gas (leave them full), and never had any problems, even my mowers and what not... Both my mowers are from 2002 and start on 1 pull. I did switch to the non ethanol gas on everything like 5 years ago, but otherwise I have done nothing, and have had no issues!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts