Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here. I have a 06 Polaris Phoenix that It sit for almost 2 years. I was able to started by changing the spark plug and new gas, with sea foam to clean the lines.. However atv did not idle properly, I decide it to clean the carb (first timer) and I screw things up more.. Now the ATV starts but it backfires and created a lot of smoke.. And it does not seen to have much power when I rev. the Throttle.. I know mostly likely I screw up something in the setup of the carb.

Just wondering if you guys can help out with ideas as of what can it be?

I run small wire through the jet nozzles to ensure they are clear and sprayed the carb cleaner but it seems that either I am running on too much as or no much air..

Any help will be great!

thanks,

G

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Does it idle now? The back firing tells me lean, but the smoke is telling me rich? What color of smoke is it? The not idleing I'm sure is the pilot jet, just order a new one and be done with it. Is the main jet really clean, and is the needle seated all the way? Just a few things to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answering really quick, Smoke is white, Yes, apparently the needle is seated correctly and I cleaned the Pilot Jet and Main jet is clean, I was able to run a small wire through them.. I think I will do that, order a kit and replace those parts.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
As long as you got the jets clean you should not have to replace them. Did you remove the mixture screw when you cleaned it? Did you move the idle screw at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I have a question here, I remove the Small Jet (inside the carb, where the floaters are) and ensure I was able to run a wire through it; I didnot remove the main jet (center) just run a wire through it. I removed what I think is the idle screw (which should be adjustable) from the outside the carb. What is the mixture screw? and Excuse for these question, this is my first time messing with carb and Really mess it up

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Your main jet is the one in the middle that the needle seats in to from the top, your pilot jet should be tucked up in a cavity just to the side of the main in some carbs, how many turns out is the mixture screw you took out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks for all the help! if you guys know the Carb Brand and Model this is what I got from Polaris CARBURETOR - A06PB20AA/AB/AC/LE, I can google and find out more and then come back and ask you guys more questions :) I am going to see if If I can post a short video of the sound/smoke to see if you guys still think the problem still is the carb.

thanks again!
G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts