Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time out the daughters Phoenix started making a strange grinding like sound. It would even make the noise in neutral when we rolled the quad by hand. So I was thinking the drum brakes were gone. When I took it apart the shoes looked good, but the inside of the drum is a mystery to me? I don't see anyway for anything else to be in contact with this part of the drum? Any help, thoughts, or comment appreciated.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, it looks like everything else is there? Camera died or I would of put other pictures up earlier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see anyway for anything else to be in contact with this part of the drum? Any help, thoughts, or comment appreciated.
Well I still have no clue. I put it back together, had no noise on the ATV stand. While it's up there I drained the ADF from the rear end and replaced. Still need to do the AGL. Anyways dropped it off jack and test road around the house, any low and behold no noise? Something did this to the drum and I have no clue?

·
Registered
619 Posts
The damage on the drum (when I blow up the picture) looks like it was done purposely with a grinder? Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The damage on the drum (when I blow up the picture) looks like it was done purposely with a grinder? Are you the original owner?
My 1st thought was it was done with a cut off wheel. But like you said before it looks fresh because there's no rust. And no I'm not original owner, but have had quad for over 2 years now. All the bearings appear good, no end play or up and down play in the axle. And the swing arm bearing's look good too. So I had a mystery noise, find this chewed up drum, with no other damage. It makes no since, therefor all I know is to let the kids ride it till the mystery unravels all together.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well if you ever do figure out the mystery, please post up as I'm curious as hell!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rattle clip help!!!

Okay so the back brakes have been doing fine, don't ask me how. But tonight I do the front pads, and the right side is missing the rattle clip. IDK how the pads stayed in there with out it. So I run to local parts store, he pulls up the parts diagram and it doesn't list it? He tells me if there's one there, I'd have to order the whole caliper @ $239!! WTH say it ant so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I look all over eBay for a clip, no luck. Seen a few calipers, but they all appear to have different style pads? My unit has a small square like pad on the outside and a larger rectangle pad with the 2 holes on the end that insert in caliper on the inside part of rotor. All calipers I seen on ebay show the same pads inside and out? Is there a 800# direct to Polaris for parts issues like this? Any help is appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts