Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New member here. Not new to the ATV world as I used to be heavily involved back in the 03-06 days with a Grizzly 660.

Anyways I recently found a 12 sportsman 800 EFI with 40 hours and 200 miles that is in meant condition. I haven't had the best of luck finding a whole lot of info on this year model and size. Just the basics. Is there really anything out there I should look into as far as prevention?

I've done a complete fluid change with all Polaris fluids. She runs great and I have no issues what so ever. I've added additional heat insulation, winch install, torn cv boot replacement. Do I need to do anything else? I would like to add all of the guards such as front and rear bumpers, cv guards, skid plates, etc...

Anything else?

Thanks everyone for any tips. Look forward to learning a whole lot more about the Polaris world. There is a big difference between this machine vs. my old Grizzly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have on 08, and it may be the same. If so, there is a wiring led that goes to the injector body. The wire in the loom is fragile, it will break with vibration. There is a replacement piece available that is much stouter wire. OTB Power Sports sells just that, they even have it on eBay. Install it before it gives you trouble. It is called a T-Bap fix.

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
Congrats the 800 is a great machine!!! Worlds apart from the Griz!!! My buddy is a Grizzly guy. I would compare them to the likes of the g
Griz is to a Nissan 280-z as the Sporty 800 is to Dodge Charger. The Yami you can throw around, it's light and nimble. Has plenty of power!! The 800 is big and heavier. Very stable and planted to the ground. Lots of torque which feels endless until you look down and your doing 70+++.

Doing a little freshening up on my 11'!!! If you have any questions they my be answered here: https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/184667-rebuilding-my-beloved-2011-sporty-800-a.html. If I can help with anything else give me a shout!!!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome to the board, sportsman 800 is a great machine. sounds like you have a good handle on the maintenance side of things, Id get it out and ride some to see what else you want to do to it before blindly buying parts and accessories. Most likely your first purchase will be a set o 26 or larger radial tires. Id ride them with stock clutching and decide if your style requires changing anything. If so definitely get a QSC kit from RVS performance, I'm extremely satisfied with the kit I got from them.

cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly appreciate all the tips/headsup info you have given so far. I will certainly look into what's been mentioned.

On a side note she already has the Polaris 14" wheels with 26" tires. Appear to be brand new. So I'll ride em until replacement time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats the 800 is a great machine!!! Worlds apart from the Griz!!! My buddy is a Grizzly guy. I would compare them to the likes of the g
Griz is to a Nissan 280-z as the Sporty 800 is to Dodge Charger. The Yami you can throw around, it's light and nimble. Has plenty of power!! The 800 is big and heavier. Very stable and planted to the ground. Lots of torque which feels endless until you look down and your doing 70+++.

Doing a little freshening up on my 11'!!! If you have any questions they my be answered here: https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/184667-rebuilding-my-beloved-2011-sporty-800-a.html. If I can help with anything else give me a shout!!!
Wow, what a project.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome machine I bought a 2014 800 with 359 miles on it in February. One thing I would recommend is changing the plugs out if they are the stock Champions to a set of NGKs. I have done a bunch of mods to mine in the last 7 months so any questions ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome machine I bought a 2014 800 with 359 miles on it in February. One thing I would recommend is changing the plugs out if they are the stock Champions to a set of NGKs. I have done a bunch of mods to mine in the last 7 months so any questions ask.
Good point. Should have done it when I had all the plastics off when I was going through it and doing all the fluid changes.

Will see about what NGK plugs to use. I am certain they are the originals as it set at pawn shop for 3 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recommended NGK plug is a BKR7EIX (Iririum) or if you are economy minded BKR7E (standard)
Being frugal with the ole dollars these days is always a good thing to keep in mind. Any real advantage to Iridiums?

Bike will only be rode during deer season and the occasional outing with the kiddos and their wheelers. Sadly, I don't ride near as much as I did back in the days. The ole back just can't handle it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never mind on the Iridium advantage. Whether I have any gains or not, the longevity of the plug is worth it as I don't like doing things frequently. Well, unless it's fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got them put in. Had the original champions in it. Yuk. Not sure where everyone is having issues with time on it. All together about 64 minutes for first time. Most of that was because I have back issues when being bent over.

Remove air box and tranny tube and come in from back side on the drivers side. Pretty easy. Hear so many taking tank loose, pulling plastics, etc......

Anyways this place rocks. Look forward to hopefully offering assistance to some young gun like you guys have offered to me..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts