Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 12 500HO with only a couple hundred miles on it, i currently have an 01 500HO.

What should i be looking at for making this as reliable as my old one? and what are some common issues. Do the steering post handle bar mounts still need to be beefed up? i lost one on my 01, also i heard some issues with rear axles? are they that much weaker than the older ones? Also a-arm weld failures, is the 500HO affected or is that just the XP. I have a few months before the season so i wanna get as much taken care of as i can, cause where im going theres no one for miles and no cell service.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Most of the issues (axles, bushings and welds) you've read about are on the XP models..... the value line is still pretty much the tried and true models of yester-year with upgrades and changes to keep the design moving forward. I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about much or beef up much of anything (depending on how hard you use or abuse your machine). If it were me, I'd do the standard oil/filter changes to the engine, front diff and rear trans/diff combo unit. Other then that.... should be good to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k thanks, sounds good. I do pull a boat into some lakes that are pretty rough getting in, but the trailer and boat combo is around 300lbs so not too bad. Was there a HP increase from 01 til now? or is the engine exactly the same. Also anyone change out the plastic sprauge bearing up front to aluminum? I did this to a few exploded RZRs but obviously they are much heavier and more powerful than the 500 HO.
Cant wait to try this machine out even though it is very close to what i already have LOL

·
Registered
505 Posts
Think theres been a few guys but not sure it they were 2010 and up

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts

I have a '12 500 h.o. As well. I hit a river bank at about 15-20mph (maybe even not that fast as it happened so quickly) last year while we were out horsing around on the ice. Those pictures are the result. Front left a arm and tie rod. Plus i had some sore muscles and my pride was injured a little as well. No welds broke and the handle bars, which i used to keep from flying off the machine didn't budge. And I'm not a little fella either. There was no other damage either after careful inspection once i was back to the garage.
I was up and running the next weekend though, after a visit to Ebay for a replacement A arm. I took the tie rod to work and straightened it in the press.
Hope that can ease some of your concerns about handle bar and a arm durability on the newer value line Sportsman.

seabee78

1 - 6 of 6 Posts