Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

New to the board. I'm picking up my first ATVs (one for me, one for the girlfriend or whoever) on Saturday. I'd ridden a friends '07 500 EFI in Taylor Park, CO last year and liked it. I looked at the 550, and all the other brands (Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Arctic Cat) but none of them matched the value of the 500. The 550 came close, I won't lie, but couldn't justify the extra coin dealers here in KC were wanting. I hope I won't regret it later - I didn't get to try one but was intrigued by the new steering setup even on the non-EPS ones. Kawasaki was nice but didn't want to pay for a 750 (650 is carb'ed, not attractive when you live at 400 ft above sea level and play at 12,000) Suzuki didn't seem as refined (same with Arctic Cat) and the Can-Am had scary dippy front suspension. I can't wait to get them and go play, I'm counting down the hours.

I'm curious about four things (right now):
Insurance - the company who advertises on Polaris' website seemed pretty inexpensive, any better deals out there? (Polaris guys were ~$100/yr, Geico was a ridiculous $400/yr)

Rear bags - I'm having a hard time finding a bag I like more than the Cabela's branded soft bag with the cover built in for just over $100. Seems like you can spend $40 for a cheap one or ~$100 for a nice one, but not much in between.

Gas cans - I know friends who have the kolpin flat tanks that have terrible leak problems. Rotopax claims they don't have the same issues with their non-CARB models. Any first hand experience on the board?

Front-Hitches? - For putting a ball on the front for trailer parking. Google doesn't seem to be able to find any front mount hitches for the Sportsman line. Anybody on here have one?

·
Registered
176 Posts
:) I am sure you will love your new sportsmans! I have never seen any hitches on any sportsmans either.... hmmm. I know that the canams have them. but not polaris, that i know of. The 500s have the rad in the way. any higher and i think you would possibly loose balance. depends i guess on the type of tailer. Maybe some one on here has seen one. I know that the new sportsmans (850s and 550s) front suspention is adjustable so it might be possible on them, You might just have to stick with the rear hitch. Ask blueline on the forum he seems to know a lot. I think he works at a dealership? Hope you find something! -dodgeram

1 - 2 of 2 Posts