Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be driving a few hours tomorrow to pick up my ATV for $7910 OTD with no options. My questions are when will I have to change the oil for the first time? I don't have photo ID so will I be able to complete the license and registration process in my name before I get my passport?( they wouldn't when I went to switch an ownership even with a birth certificate, so will it be different when purchasing?) And do I complete the licensing process in the dealer or elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Your dealership should be able to tell you the answers to all of those ?'s...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your dealership should be able to tell you the answers to all of those ?'s...
I was just hoping to find out before going, also it was closed yesterday.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I see your in Canada...... are you buying it "state side", that you'd need a passport? I guess I don't understand that one? :dunno: As for the registration..... really depends on how your province does things. My guess is that you would need ID to complete all the paperwork...... But :dunno:

So..... are you waiting outside the dealer yet? :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm assuming you're under 18. some states/provinces don't allow "ownership" of something unless you're legally an adult. Also, if you're buying stateside and transporting back to Canada you're going to need ID to get across the boarder so you've already got something that will work for the licensing. If you're buying in the states the dealership wont be able to do the licensing for you. You'll have to do that in your own province/state. Can't even license from one state to another in the US. as Each state has different taxes and fees. For example. WA has sales tax but OR does not. but if I were to go to OR to buy a quad, I'd have to pay WA the sales tax on the purchase before I could get it licensed. It's complete crap, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
how did you purchase this....with no passport or ID how did you get stateside to purchase...you will have to pay the duty I think in canada when you get the ATV plus any fees to license..I am sorta lost on your question....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thats 7900 Canadian right!?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, that's more than the US base price for the EPS model...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for 7900 bucks, i dont think hes buying it in the us.
You Americans are lucky, up here $7900 is a deal! Regular $7399 + fees and I got it $6699 plus fees.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked it up a few hours ago and brought it home. Since I'm still waiting on my passport for photo ID I had to share a RIN with my dad and then I'll have to go to the licensing bereau of Canada to switch it to my name when I get my passport. I bought the quad in Ontario Canada and saved $1100 because it was on sale for $7950 OTD also here in Canada the dealers do all the paperwork and get the ownership.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep everyone updated on my new quad the best I can. so far I absolutely love it, and so many new features! I'll have to get used to the exhaust smell since its FI , no joke it smells disgusting. Also turns out battery placement is a plus and is more easily accessible I was talking to the mechanics about it and they like it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the lakes and any packed down surrounding trails, do you guys know if its bad to break in an ATV in cold even if I let it warm up before riding? Manual doesn't specify also the manual said change operational fluids after first 25 hours and then every 100 hours after that, but the dealer said to wait until 50 hours because the oils are usually still good after 25 do you believe that?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
go by the manual. It will never hurt the machine to change the oil. but it can if you don't change it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
go by the manual. It will never hurt the machine to change the oil. but it can if you don't change it.
Ya I was thinking the same thing, I also don't want to void the warranty. Apparently the manual says you don't have to use Polaris oil just the right viscocity and possibly change it more often, I might use Polaris oil up to 300km and then switch to castrol or some other brand. You would expect the Polaris bottles to be lined with gold or something.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you haven't already broken in the first hour, make sure you drive it in low gear through this point. It will help seat the belt and reduce slipping issues - especially since it's cold. A proper belt seating will increase the life of your belt. After the first 25, make sure to change your fluids AND your oil filter. Have fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts