Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bought a used 1997 xplorer and the guy told me it needed new brakes. So I bought a set and when I went to take it apart I cannot figure out how to get those 2 pins out that hold the pads in line. I unhooked the brakeline and put it on bench and soaked it with some blaster I have the pads freed up but I cannot get those pins out, is there something I am missing ? frustrated lol

please any advice is appreciated Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
getting rusted pins out

Hello I searched several forums trying to find some help but most gave up on getting the pins out and just bought new caliper. I am laid off work and didn't have the $169 for a new caliper so I had to get serious :) this is incase someone else out there is low on funds, it aint easy but I got them out in about 20 minutes. I had already tried soaking in blaster couldnt get them to budge. I would not recommend anyone that doesn't have good knowledge of grinders and such to do. ( if you are under 18 please get your dad or uncle or the old grouchy guy next door to help you. Please)
Here we go. I got the pads loose to where i could move them up and down on the pins, I took a 4 inch grinder (this is where you have to be extremely careful) took the guard off the front, put a 4 inch cutting disk on and being careful to not touch the sides of the caliper I cut into the pins, I stopped here and tried to take a screwdriver and insert into the slot I had just cut and tried to push down on it forcing the pin out, this didnt work so I got a fresh cutting disc ( so i wouldn't cut into the caliper ) I ground down into the pins again. Then i took a chisel and put it in the slot I had ground out and tapped on it with a hammer the pins broke in half. I then had to use the grinder again to make the slot large enough to get the pads out of the caliper. Once I had the pads out of the caliper I took a small punch and tapped the pin on the top driving it down to where it touched the bottom half of pin. then I took the grinder and cut the pins again making another gap between the top half and bottom half of pins. I then tapped again with the punch and the top half was out, I now only had to take my needle nose vise grips and clamp on the pins and wiggle them back and forth to pull them out of the bottom. One pin came out easy the other pin I had to tap from one side then the other with small chisel to break it loose then used the pliers to pull it out. Must have patience and extreme care with grinder ( please wear safety glasses because of sparks and if you bump that cutting wheel it will break on you. I hope this helps someone else. Please use caution with the grinder and make sure you put the guard back on its there for your safety.
ps make sure there are no flammable liquids close by, wear safety glasses and if you can get someone to watch so you dont nick the caliper I got one small nick but it wont hurt.

Now I have to order some new pins and hopefully I will be enjoying some riding time :)

God bless and good luck please use warnings I put in this for your benefit.
Jerry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts