Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got a 83x14 2 axel pj witch i wanted and needed could have got a single axel and problem solved singel axel has 59 inch side load opening 2 axel has 48 inch side load opening i have 850 xp with itp 216 and 27" black waters 54" wide so no side load not good if you want to haul 2 850s or eny other wide atv so took maters into my own hands and re designed there side lode opening that they could have done very Easley at the factory. i did this with little cost and effort i now have 56" opening could get 2 more inches to 58 if wanted
56 loads easy so this is very doable if enyone is interested i moding a 2 axel pj atv trailer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
other problem with these trailers and most others no good tie down points so fixing that

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
finished my project can fit 2 54" wide 850 xp on the 2axel pj atv trailer.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Modifications look good! Nice work.

Just a thought, but this may be something good to bring up to PJ trailers customer service..... mainly to "get with the times" and do a little redesign! Just let them know the side hole isn't big enough to fit the #1 selling brand of utility quad!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx not to bad of job to do and im thinking of getting a hold of them you cant fit to many machines on at 48" you would have to be 47" that would be 1/2" clearence per side not much room.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
90% of the time modifying the "walls" on a trailer is a big "NO NO" because the wall acts as a truss and actually is a very important structural member of a trailer. In this case, based on the location of the modification, I would say you're pretty safe. a couple questions though...

Does the modified rail meet a cross member where it joins the frame?

Do the new tie down points line up with cross members to prevent twisting and warping of the frame?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the mod was done to the side rails they are removable on a pj nothing to do with sructure very simple job

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good job on the mod, and nice trailer. I like those fenders.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've got the same trailer in the single axle 16ft x 7ft
Did you mean to say 14 feet?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
90% of the time modifying the "walls" on a trailer is a big "NO NO" because the wall acts as a truss and actually is a very important structural member of a trailer. In this case, based on the location of the modification, I would say you're pretty safe. a couple questions though...

Does the modified rail meet a cross member where it joins the frame?

Do the new tie down points line up with cross members to prevent twisting and warping of the frame?
Your not the only one that freaked and thought ooooh shit, he just destroyed his trailer and weakened it severely.

Guess if it has removable rails, it's a non issue and that mod is a much needed one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think PJ is probably the best built trailer out there.
I am contemplating having one built with the options I want.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I want a 83 inch wide-14 feet long, ATV ramps on the sides.
Single axle.
2 foot dovetail.
4 foot fold in half rear gate.
LED lights.
The weight is about 1500 pounds even.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts