Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where planning a trip out to WV to the hatfield mccoy trials in May,June can any one tell me what town/hotel etc any pointers will be very helpful thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been to Rockhouse several times, and like the trais there a lot. We are planning a trip to Pocahontas/Pinnacle Creek/Indian Ridge this spring. Hit up trailsheaven.com for lodging. They rent out houses down there with kitchens, showers, etc. That's the way to go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You probably have to decide what trail systems you want to ride first. It depends on what caliber of lodging you want and how critical have restaurants very close. As Indy said check out the Hatfield McCoy site Hatfield & McCoy ATV & UTV Trails - ATV Trail Riding Trails Heaven
Once you decide where you are going to ride re-post and we will give you some lodging options that are not on the HM Site. There are several in the HMP/HMIR/HMPC/Outlaw that are not on the HM Site.

There are three basic areas:
Rockhouse/Bearwallow/Buffalo Mtn.
There are multiple nice places to stay in Gilbert/Man/Matewan/Williamson with plenty of restaurants. You will have to trailer everyday between systems.

Little Coal River/Ivy Branch
Just a couple of places to stay and they are average. Can ride from lodging to LCR but have to trailer to IB. These trailheads are only 20 minutes south of South Charleston which has everything.

Pocahontas/Indian Ridge/Pinnacle Creek
There are multiple places to stay where you will never have to trailer. There are a ton of Outlaw trails in this area. There are plenty of places to eat on the trails every day but night time is limited. Staying in the middle of the 3 systems is best. Staying in Bramwell or Pineville makes it a long ride to get to the other one.

If you have a PC and/or Garmin GPS you can get a map of the trails and lodging options at the link below. Even if you don't have a GPS you can view them on your PC or Mac to get your bearings. It has 35 of the most popular lodging establishments shown.
WV ATV Trails 2013
WV ATV Trails 2013 Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

This link will take you to instructions on how to get free Garmin software and install maps.
How to Get Garmin Software and Install Maps 102813

Good luck and no matter where you choose you will have a blast.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all the info. I've been thinking of getting a gps any ways what's a good.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
What BOBT said above!

We have made 10 trips out there the last 18 months or so. Pinnacle/IndianRidge/Pocahantas are a good mix...easier trails, lots of water (Pinnacle), varied terrain (Indian Ridge), and Pocanahtas has some good variety as well (easier trails though).

Rockhouse/Bear Wallow, Buffalo Mountain are a good bit harder...with a lot more rocks. We like Bear Wallow and Buffalo Mountain the best of them all, as it has Rockhouse type trails, but also trails like pinnacle, etc. Have ridden rockhouse 3 times now and it will beat you up after a while...it is the most popular trail system it seems. There are usually a ton of dirt bikes at buffalo mountain as it has the most singletrack. Have not ridden Little Coal (easiest trail system) or Ivy Branch yet (heard it is brutal...more for sxs's and jeeps)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wisconsin, I have been asked what GPS to get many times and have put together the linked document. It explains different options.

What GPS to Get

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Where planning a trip out to WV to the hatfield mccoy trials in May,June can any one tell me what town/hotel etc any pointers will be very helpful thanks guys
If you are going to ride Pochantas, Pinnacle Creek or Indian Ridge there's a place in Northfork WVa called Sam's Guest House that rent two houses. I am going there this weekend and will let you know how it was when I get back. Northfork is about 11 miles from Bramwell. We found this place last spring when we were staying in Bramwell and had lunch in Northfork after a two hour trail ride to get there

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have only been there one time, but had a GREAT experience at Wild Willys ATV Resort. Look them up. Awesome place to stay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just returned from WV in Oct. We rode INDIAN RIDGE on the Hatfield Mccoy. We stayed at ASHLAND RESORT which was great. They cater to all things ATV . They have cabins, campsites for tent trailers or RV'S. While in WV we rode over 200 miles and it is beautiful. If you take a summer trip the trails may be dusty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You probably have to decide what trail systems you want to ride first. It depends on what caliber of lodging you want and how critical have restaurants very close. As Indy said check out the Hatfield McCoy site Hatfield & McCoy ATV & UTV Trails - ATV Trail Riding Trails Heaven
Once you decide where you are going to ride re-post and we will give you some lodging options that are not on the HM Site. There are several in the HMP/HMIR/HMPC/Outlaw that are not on the HM Site.

There are three basic areas:
Rockhouse/Bearwallow/Buffalo Mtn.
There are multiple nice places to stay in Gilbert/Man/Matewan/Williamson with plenty of restaurants. You will have to trailer everyday between systems.

Little Coal River/Ivy Branch
Just a couple of places to stay and they are average. Can ride from lodging to LCR but have to trailer to IB. These trailheads are only 20 minutes south of South Charleston which has everything.

Pocahontas/Indian Ridge/Pinnacle Creek
There are multiple places to stay where you will never have to trailer. There are a ton of Outlaw trails in this area. There are plenty of places to eat on the trails every day but night time is limited. Staying in the middle of the 3 systems is best. Staying in Bramwell or Pineville makes it a long ride to get to the other one.

If you have a PC and/or Garmin GPS you can get a map of the trails and lodging options at the link below. Even if you don't have a GPS you can view them on your PC or Mac to get your bearings. It has 35 of the most popular lodging establishments shown.
WV ATV Trails 2013
WV ATV Trails 2013 Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

This link will take you to instructions on how to get free Garmin software and install maps.
How to Get Garmin Software and Install Maps 102813

Good luck and no matter where you choose you will have a blast.
I thought all the trails where tied together. And thanks again for all the great info

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek and Pocahontas are linked together. No other systems are linked just yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
go to Trailsheaven and check it out. I think there are 6 trail systems in total.

They are kinda in groups. A group of 3 and a couple groups of 2 maybe, but definitely not a group of 6. All the linkages are listed on the main Hatfield McCoy page.

What trails you ride will really depend on what you want to do while NOT riding. Plenty of great places to stay if you plan to cook. If you want hotels and restaurants, then you are limited.

You will hear the "Outlaw trails" mentioned a bunch. These are separate trail system not maintained by the Hatfield/McCoy trails, they intersect and criss cross the H+M trails all over. There are maps on line. From my trip, I enjoyed the outlaw trails better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont think this is Appalachian mountains. I have seen almost all of them and they dont look like that.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Definitely not WV. Looks like CO to me, maybe around Taylor Park. Bobx2 on here is from CO, maybe he will recognize it

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If you are going to ride Pochantas, Pinnacle Creek or Indian Ridge there's a place in Northfork WVa called Sam's Guest House that rent two houses. I am going there this weekend and will let you know how it was when I get back. Northfork is about 11 miles from Bramwell. We found this place last spring when we were staying in Bramwell and had lunch in Northfork after a two hour trail ride to get there
Got back two weeks ago, and Sams guest house was clean and spacious and very affordable. .4 miles to indian Ridge trailhead and .6 miles to Pinnacle Creek trailhead. We rode for two days in dust the first day and muddy slippery trails the second day. We had a great time. The lodging was $225.00 a night but we had 6 people so about 45.00 each per day. The little town of Northfork is small and no restaurants, so if you go here carry your food. There is a seasonal choke and puke place but it wasn't open in November. Would I go back here, yes I would. Great people and easy access to two great trails

One thing I forgot to mention is that Sams guest house has a lockable garage. We had a Kawasaki Teryx two sportsmans and two dirt bikes in there and they are completely secure

·
Registered
31 Posts
Book you place in advance!

Be aware that the best places to stay book up fast. I called ashland resort and had no openings for their large deluxe lodge until the weekend after memorial day. If you can go during the week days I am sure your choices are much more. IMO Ashland resort is a great place to stay, no trailering and very varied terrain and lots of it. Like everyone says do your research and find out what is best for your needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just returned from WV in Oct. We rode INDIAN RIDGE on the Hatfield Mccoy. We stayed at ASHLAND RESORT which was great. They cater to all things ATV . They have cabins, campsites for tent trailers or RV'S. While in WV we rode over 200 miles and it is beautiful. If you take a summer trip the trails may be dusty.
This ^

Friends and I spent 3 days each in 2008 and 2009. Great campsite and close to town. Absolutely beautiful terrain and riding for days. We stayed in the cabins and used the camp showers.

Can't recommend Ashland Resort and the Indian Ridge trail network enough.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts