Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Plasti-dip to re-finish the racks on their ATV? I've used it on wheels in the past but I'm wondering how well it holds up over time on the racks since they take some abuse.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I found the Rustoleum truck bed coating works great, and if it chips its really easy to blend in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd think plasti-dip would peel off to easy and the above mentioned truck bed spray or under body coating would be a better application. I'd also remove the rack and do a 360° spray down, which I think would stick (to itself) the best?! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I had mine sand blasted where my father in law works and they came out real nice, whatever you decide to do make sure any and all rust and dirt is removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had mine sand blasted where my father in law works and they came out real nice, whatever you decide to do make sure any and all rust and dirt is removed.
Most of Polaris Racks are plastic, so I think Sand blasting plastic may not turn out so well, LOL... But I do plan on doing this to my front bumper as it has some scratches on it from pushing out Yamaha's, LOL...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of Polaris Racks are plastic, so I think Sand blasting plastic may not turn out so well, LOL... But I do plan on doing this to my front bumper as it has some scratches on it from pushing out Yamaha's, LOL...
Yes, most of the newer ones do. But in his picture he has metal racks, as do I which is what I am asking about.

Sandblasting the plastic racks probably wouldn't be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yes, most of the newer ones do. But in his picture he has metal racks, as do I which is what I am asking about.

Sandblasting the plastic racks probably wouldn't be the best idea.
Sorry, for some reason can not always see pictures that are posted... My work computer has a lot protection on it so that is most likely why...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Has anyone used Plasti-dip to re-finish the racks on their ATV? I've used it on wheels in the past but I'm wondering how well it holds up over time on the racks since they take some abuse.

Thanks.
Rather than painting those steel tubes, because it's going to come off again, I'd go to a hardware store that sell plumbing supplies and get some pipe insulation and wrap them with it and zip tie it down, or you could also use 5/8 to 3/4 inch heater hose and split it and wrap the tubes with it. It will protect the tubes and make for a better non slip surface

·
Registered
294 Posts
Put enough coats of plasti dip on it and you should have no problems. It's been used for years by manufacturers dipping tool handles and you hardly ever peel that stuff off.

I dipped the end of a piece of 2" conduit and used it every day for a solid week last week for a sand spike while surf fishing. It was constantly having a rod pulled against it, getting drug through the sand, banged around with other gear during transport, dropped out of the truck on the dipped end on the pavement a couple of times... it still looks like it did the night I dipped it. I didn't even do any prep other than wiping the spider egg sacks off by hand. Just stuck that piece of conduit that's been in my garage for over 15 years into the dip twice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I found the Rustoleum truck bed coating works great, and if it chips its really easy to blend in.
My son-in-law had a buddy that ran the local Rino-Liner dealer. Had them do both of our racks. That was almost 6 years ago. Just had to touch up the stands this past spring. Used the Rustoleum spray can for touching up.

Would think the plastic dip would work also. Can it be brushed or wiped on ? hate to have to buy enough to dip the racks in...lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They sell it in spray cans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive used plastidip on rims, emblems, tool boxes etc. its good stuff but I personally wouldnt use it on my atv. the only thing that it hasn't peeled off of is my emblems on my truck. otherwise it doesn't last that long. rub it the wrong way and it peels pretty easy. I personally would go with powder coating. its more spendy but its worth the extra.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts