Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping someone can help me out.
I have a 2013 XP with power steering that had about 2" of play at the handlebars. This past weekend a friend and I broke the bike down and replaced the lower steering stem post with the new designed post # 2205364.

This removed most of the play at the handlebars but after reassembling everything and testing it with the key off there is still about a 1/2 inch of play left. While inspecting it by moving the handlebar back and forth it seems like the play is inside the EPS unit. Is this possible? I read somewhere the shaft is solid through the EPS but not sure.

Or did we leave something else loose and I'm mis-diagnosing the problem? Does anyone else still have some play after replacing the lower stem post?

We typically ride fast on our WV trips so it would sure be nice to have the steering be tight for once.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
I was under the impression that when off there could be a little play but when the eps became energized everything tightened up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have about 3/4" of free play with key off or key on.

It's been that way since day 1.

Mark

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Theres a pinch bolt on the top of the steering box, could double check that.
When you say play, if your sitting on the bike is the slack turning left right, pushing front to back or pulling in and out?
I ask cuz the upper bushing is a steaming pile.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mark
When you say play, if your sitting on the bike is the slack turning left right, pushing front to back or pulling in and out?
Perhaps it's normal to have some side-to-side play when turned off and I'm just being paranoid. I really didn't have much of a chance to ride it after we did the repair so I'll have to see how it does when it's running.

I'll double check the upper post as well but it seemed tight.

807VikingMetal, the play is both left to right when turning and front to back. There is definitely some play in the upper bushing. Very annoying when riding. When I replaced the lower post I put in new upper OEM bushings but the new one is just as loose as the old one it replaced. I read another thread on this forum about using a Moog sway bar bushing instead (I think K7326?) and that tighten it up for others. I'm going to give that a try next.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

Mark
Perhaps it's normal to have some side-to-side play when turned off and I'm just being paranoid. I really didn't have much of a chance to ride it after we did the repair so I'll have to see how it does when it's running.

I'll double check the upper post as well but it seemed tight.

807VikingMetal, the play is both left to right when turning and front to back. There is definitely some play in the upper bushing. Very annoying when riding. When I replaced the lower post I put in new upper OEM bushings but the new one is just as loose as the old one it replaced. I read another thread on this forum about using a Moog sway bar bushing instead (I think K7326?) and that tighten it up for others. I'm going to give that a try next.
Yup any auto 1-1/4" swaybar bushing will work, and it works well.
You will need to make some grooves inside it so it will hold some grease, and then a shot of penetrating oil from on top every once in a while will keep it turning slick.
Could also drill and tap the polaris bushing strap for a grease fitting, been too lazy to take mine apart again.

PS you can over tighten the bolts with the auto bushing and it will hold like a vice, just snug so theres no movement, test before putting the cover on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The power steering unit has a straight thru shaft so no play in their. The only places for play are in the upper and lower couplings and the tie rod ends. The upper bushing will make the hole steering shaft move. Best way to check the upper and lowers couplings is to put your finger on the shaft where it connects to the coupling and have someone move the handle bars and see if you can feel a slight movement. A 1/2" at the end of the handle bars is VERY little movement at the couplers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Good idea putting a groove or a zerk on the bushing.

BobT, I'll check the top and bottom pinch bolts again for tightness and do as you suggested to try to diagnose. I live and work in MD in the DC area so I keep the bike a few hours away in VA on the parents farm. It will be early Oct before I'm back down there to load up for our next Hatfield trip. I'll check everything then report back any findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts