Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well picked up a new 19 1000 premium edition today...(it’s actually for the wife-gonna sell her 850) just got home and took it for a small test ride through our field. I instantly noticed the handle bars had a bit of play in them over small studer bumps. So I stopped to investigate. Sure enough there is a bit of play. Does it both while running and while shut off. I’ll call the dealer in the morning. I already have a 17 850sp and a 18 1000 xp. Neither of those have any play in the steering at all. I have heard of others complain about this before too but I thought it was after the machine had a bunch of miles on it. I see there is a pinch bolt above the power steering box but I’m not gonna mess with it till I talk to the dealer.
Thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I talked to the dealer I bought it at (almost 4 hours away) and all they said was I would have to bring it in for them to look at it. They wouldn’t even let me talk to the service manager. So I checked the pinch bolt, the 2 bolts above the power steering unit and the 4 bolts under the headlight pod where the bars attach. All were tight. So I loaded it up and took it to my local dealer. I did buy a new General from my local dealer a few weeks ago so I didn’t feel to bad taking a machine I bought elsewhere for them to look at. Well he kind of gave me a hard time and said seeing I bought it somewhere else( he mainly sells the sxs and only has 5 Atv’s on his lot and none a 1000) that unless there was a defective part I would have to pay him for the time and service. I said I totally understand that. So the mechanic came to look at it and instantly said it’s the bushings on the upper post. He said some just come that way with a bit of slop in them. They did have 1 850 there and we checked that one and it was the same way with a bit of play. They said it’s highly unlikely Polaris will do anything about it. There is no “spec” of an amount of play that is acceptable from Polaris. So unless the bushing has failed there’s nothing wrong with it. So we will see what they come up with. I told them to hopefully figure out a way to shim it or something to make it tight and I’ll just have to pay for a repair on a brand new machine. I also looked up the part number and it looks like there has been a switch in part numbers?? It’s part number 12 on the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interesting. I purchased a 2019 1000 sportsman premium and absolutely love it. The first thing I did check when looking at the 1000 was it had no play in the handle bars. Now my 2010 and 2011 had a lot of play, but I have upgrade the hardware for the lower and upper pinch bolts and have tightened down to the point there was not any more play.

Now, a few problems I noticed with my 1000 and I’m not sure if you have experienced the same things or not. First, the dang thing steers differently when in 2WD compared to 4WD. No wheel spin, just riding on a nice smooth trail and when you turn in 4WD something does not feel right. Hard to explain. Almost feels as if the 4WD is engaged. If u immediately put it in 2WD, the feeling in the handle bars goes away and it’s really easy to turn. Second, I don’t think the clutches / belt is adjusted right. Really hard to shift. My 2010 and 2011 are super smooth. I noticed the starter hits really hard when starting. My other ones are smooth starting. This sounds if the starter is going to come apart. Lastly, I hate the wide tires on the premium. I’m not sure if it’s the tires or what, I get a vibration between 18-24 mph. I did take mine to the dealer and I got the...everything is fine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I purchased a 2019 1000 sportsman premium and absolutely love it. The first thing I did check when looking at the 1000 was it had no play in the handle bars. Now my 2010 and 2011 had a lot of play, but I have upgrade the hardware for the lower and upper pinch bolts and have tightened down to the point there was not any more play.

Now, a few problems I noticed with my 1000 and I’m not sure if you have experienced the same things or not. First, the dang thing steers differently when in 2WD compared to 4WD. No wheel spin, just riding on a nice smooth trail and when you turn in 4WD something does not feel right. Hard to explain. Almost feels as if the 4WD is engaged. If u immediately put it in 2WD, the feeling in the handle bars goes away and it’s really easy to turn. Second, I don’t think the clutches / belt is adjusted right. Really hard to shift. My 2010 and 2011 are super smooth. I noticed the starter hits really hard when starting. My other ones are smooth starting. This sounds if the starter is going to come apart. Lastly, I hate the wide tires on the premium. I’m not sure if it’s the tires or what, I get a vibration between 18-24 mph. I did take mine to the dealer and I got the...everything is fine.
My 18 1000 power steering is just like that. You can tell quite a bit of difference between 2 wheel and Awd. Even just while putzing around. I haven’t experienced any of those other issues. The stock clutching on the 19 engages much smoother then my 18 did-it now has a clutch kit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree, comparing my 2011 to the 2019 the clutch engagement is extremely smooth on the 2019. My 2011 about puts my neck out of place.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I picked the machine up today. They ordered the new bushing and installed it and the play is gone. The total cost was only $45 so I told em don’t even try to submit for warranty. I’m just glad the steering play is gone!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update. The play came back during the 1st trail ride. Not as bad but there was still play which to me is unacceptable. So I saw on you tube Elemantal Atv he had a fix. I order the part and installed it tonight. PROBLEM SOLVED FOR GOOD. Very easy install.
here is a link to his video.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts