Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some play in the steering on my 2013 550 XP LE w/ eps. I couldn`t see where it was coming from so I dropped it off at the Polaris dealer. I have the 5 year extended warranty so he said it should be covered even with having over 5000 miles on the machine. I`ll keep you guys posted with what happens. Its not the tie rods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lower steering stem post maybe. Just replaced mine. I was glad to see the new one had a bolt I could torque down. That plus new bushings from JCCAPRI. My 850 rides better now than when I first got it. I was very disappointed in the design on the lower steering stem.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you do the mod in the link above I would use a stainless steel hex head 1/2" long by 18tpi bolt instead of the set screws. The advantage of the set screw it that you can get one with a cupped knurled end that will prevent loosening up. With the bolt just grind it down to a blunt point. You can easily reach in with a socket extension through the front of the wheel well to check or tighten up. You can get more torque on a hex head than a small set screw. And don't use red Loctite, use blue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
grease fittings
Does anyone know the correct size of the grease fittings on a 2013 sportsman 850xp eps. need to change some to 45 and 90 degree angle to make greasing easy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure how much play your talking about...but have seen different models setting on the showroom floor with some play in the steering.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you read through the thread linked to earlier further down is has a list of the steps that need to be done. Depending upon your skills and tools it will take a couple of hours to get out, 20 minutes to drill and tap, a couple of hours to put back in. Well worth it in my opinion. The biggest pain is getting to the 4 bolts and nuts that mount the EPS support to the frame. Putting the tie rods back on isn't fun either.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how much play your talking about...but have seen different models setting on the showroom floor with some play in the steering.
I noticed that there was some play in new machines as well. Mine is not real bad but just enough to make me want it corrected. Its super cold here this week in Pa so I figured get it fixed before the warm weather hits. I`ll keep you guys posted on how the dealer takes care of this issue. They said its covered under my extended warranty. So I`ll let them deal with it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Mine is not real bad but just enough to make me want it corrected. Its super cold here this week in Pa so I figured get it fixed before the warm weather hits
The way things are going around here that is going to be somewhere near the end of July.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I noticed that there was some play in new machines as well. Mine is not real bad but just enough to make me want it corrected. Its super cold here this week in Pa so I figured get it fixed before the warm weather hits. I`ll keep you guys posted on how the dealer takes care of this issue. They said its covered under my extended warranty. So I`ll let them deal with it.
You should maybe put it in the dealers ear that the new 2014 lower stem has an actual pinch bolt on it, no use in replacing it with the same 2013 version that will fail again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should maybe put it in the dealers ear that the new 2014 lower stem has an actual pinch bolt on it, no use in replacing it with the same 2013 version that will fail again.
Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an update from the dealer. They are replacing that steering stem thing and both front ball joints. All under warranty and it will be done Monday. Everything else is tip top, not bad for over 5000 miles. They also mentioned how incredible it is that my machine has that kind of mileage and still looks like new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts