Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 96 trail boss the is no electrical that works nothing at all dash lights or lights or starter, I'm really at a loss for this machine. Also it has started grinding when going from reverse to forward but if you start the quad in forward it doesn't do it. Only does it twice then stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated or even advise of what could be this things problem. Thank you

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you need to go through the electrical system with a fine toothed comb. Check for weak battery, loose/bad grounds, broken/frayed wires, power to the control module, kill switch, ignition, blown fuses ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
See i was told the brake lamp works well all the wires are gone so that is probably were my problem is then. You wouldn't happen to know were the fuses are on these machines? because they are not were there supposed to be by the diagram, also could it be a stator im just running things by everyone

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
See i was told the brake lamp works well all the wires are gone so that is probably were my problem is then. You wouldn't happen to know were the fuses are on these machines? because they are not were there supposed to be by the diagram, also could it be a stator im just running things by everyone
I unfortunately do not know where Polaris hid the fuses on that model. Usually if the stator is blown you will have charging issues not just power issues. I think you model has a power regulator, that could be the issue.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lets see if we can get you going. First and foremost you are going to need a volt meter and a service manual. I have a service manual if you don't have one. A volt meter can be had at any harbor freight for practically nothing. To make things easy use electrical connectors on the end of your test leads instead of the probes. On the junction panel for the connections there should be a spot where a yellow wire and yellow/red wire are connected to the panel. These are your outputs from your stator. One probe to yellow wire and and one probe to brown (ground) Check them to see if you are getting 25 vac. with engine running. Make sure your multi testers is set on ac not dc. If this checks out rectifier is bad and needs replaced. Let me know what the results are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In need of repair manual

Hello , I just recently got a 96 trail boss, has been hell trying to get a manual, I have a couple wiring issues since a new ignition was put on and the all the wires were not replaced where they should be... It did run with this issue.... I had recently had to spend 200 bucks for service and parts to the recoil but could us a manual for trouble shooting if anyone has.... Am going to get a new spark plug I am still getting good spark and it ran as is before this and going to put new fuel line in as It needs it for one but I can't get it to start now since the recoil has been done.... Only change to it has been a new throttle cable and I'm at a loss.... Thanks for any advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts