Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Polaris Predator 50 4-stroke. My daughter was riding it around the yard and it just died. It wasn't like it was losing gas, it just shut completely off... no more fire. This 100% has nothing to do with the fuel system. When it died, it was like a kill switch was activated. I've checked the plug for fire and there is none. I have wasted a ton of money changing basically every part that is involved with the ignition system. I've changed the CDI, stator, ignition coil, and spark plug. It is also important to note that the fuse coming off the battery was blown which makes me assume there is an electrical issue. Note: I am an idiot when it comes to electricity. My feeble mind doesn't allow me to understand it well. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My kids are on my back every day about getting it fixed!!

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Well, to start with just remember - black is ground

First, eliminate the tether switch as a possible problem - unplug it from the wiring harness and jumper the two wires together.

With that out of the way, when the key is turned on, black is connected to dark green - so dark green is ground with the key on at the same time, when the key switch is on, red (from the battery) is connected to brown - brown is 12v positive.

Dark green (ground) passes through the tether switch making blk/yel ground

blk/yel goes to the LH switch where it connects to blk/wht and blk/dark blue

blk/db is the ground for the starter solenoid and the tail light - when the starter button is pressed, it connects blk/db to dark blue/white - the starter solenoid is connected directly to the battery via the red wire so when the ground circuit is completed, the solenoid closes and the starter motor spins. This part works - right?

OK, unplug the wires from the CDI unit - check for ground (continuity from the battery neg post) to the blk/wht wire in both of the CDI connectors.

You should also have continuity to ground on the gray wire when the throttle is opened

You should have 12v on the brown wire at the CDI plug

If all is good up to this point - the only thing left is the dark blue wire with the black stripe - that is the pulse gen that tells the CDI unit to fire - the db/bk wire goes from the CDI plug to the stator plug - check the continuity from one plug to the other.

At this point the only tests left require a peak voltage tester - you need to check the output of the pulse generator (db/blk) to blk on the stator plug.

Let me know if this helps.

Here's the wiring diagram if it helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts