Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Polaris sportsmen 500 , I got a after market battery off Amazon and the terminals were backward and did not realize . I hooked the wires up and fried the solenoid , so I got a new one put it in and hooked up the battery now the pod still does not work and the fan run all the time when battery is hooked up . I’m really not sure what to try next . Any ideas guys ?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,120 Posts
I have a 2004 Polaris sportsmen 500 , I got a after market battery off Amazon and the terminals were backward and did not realize . I hooked the wires up and fried the solenoid , so I got a new one put it in and hooked up the battery now the pod still does not work and the fan run all the time when battery is hooked up . I’m really not sure what to try next . Any ideas guys ?
Don't feel bad, you're not the first and you won't be the last to make that same mistake of hooking up the battery backwards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya , Not sure what’s more frustrating, the act of doing it and I knowing better or trying to diagnosing the problem off u tube , when there’s no exact problem like mine . Lol

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Early or late model? Early has a 11 wires going to the key switch - late has 7 wires on the key
switch

Early
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Late
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Diagram

I'm betting you have a late model and burned out the SSCB unit

If your is the late model check for 12v on the orange wire at the key switch - if no voltage check for 12v on the red wire of the SSCB - if no voltage on the red wire, check the fusible link between the solenoid and the red wires
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Slope

SSCB unit wiring
Product Rectangle Font Line Slope

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7 wire going to key switch , so late model . found it kinda weird for the fan to continually run when hooking up the battery with key off . So is the cdi pack ok ? I’ll check out ascb unit ,

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Easy test - jump the pos side of the battery to the orange wire of the key switch - if it acts normal, starts and accessories work, then the SSCB is the only problem - it is part number 2203348 $150.00 USD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok , new problem , before I even got to try the quick test with the orange wire I hooked up the battery and something in the front end started smoking and the pod lite up and was flashing hot!! , now I can hook up the battery with out it smoking . Did I do something wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry , I can’t hook up the battery with out it smoking , I’m scared to let it keep going , just in case it messing something more up , but the pod looks like it’s ok others then it’s flashing hot

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Unplug the 10 pin plug from the SSCB and that should stop the smoking and then you should be able to connect the battery to the orange wire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok sounds good , I ran out of day light I’m literally working on it in the back yard, I don’t got a shop yet , I’ll get back on it after work tomorrow , thanks for all ur help . All keep u posted .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good chance you fried the computer. If there is one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my 06 this summer. I thought they were all the same (I was wrong). I ended up frying the SurePower module when I did it. Everything worked after I realized and fixed it (only took a few seconds), but it overcharged, a lot (18+ volts at higher RPM). The SurePower module controls everything from voltage to the cooling fan (even on the carb models, like mine). I'd say you probably cooked the "Magic Box". Usually you can smell that "burnt electronics" smell if it's cooked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep , front end was smoking , what does the box look like , I couldn’t see exactly we’re the smoke was coming from , I had the plastics off and everything. Thanks for the help , really appreciate it .

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Depending on the model, it's either module 28 in the first pic or module 10 in the second pic (and I think your's will be the second pic)
Slope Font Pattern Circle Drawing

Organism Slope Font Handwriting Triangle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts