Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 polaris sportsman 700. I went to take the trash out so I pulled it to the front yard and turned it off and went inside to get the trash. i only ran it about 10 seconds. I went inside for about 15 minutes and went back outside to start it and it wouldnt even crank over. Ive had problems with the starter before.(i'v replaced it twice in the last year and it was under warrenty) It was an aftermarket one because the dealership i went to said it was better. The starter isnt clicking or anything but you can tell its trying to start it. (screen dimming .etc) I tapped the starter and that didnt work and the battery is good. It was at 12 volts when i went to start it and it was only dropping to 7.4-8.6 volts as i was trying to start it. I checked the dipstick and it didn't read any oil, but it hasn't leaked or burned any from what i can tell and the check engine light hasnt came on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check all battery connections for corrosion and tightness. What kind of battery? Does battery need water added to it? Are you sure the battery is good? 7 volts will not start the atv.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Suspect

Battery is suspect, I'd try charging it for awhile. Then test voltage and try again is good. Luck! :banana:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
No oil reading on dipstick? Yikes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Could be the battery a bad battery can still show normal voltage and not hold the amps, the amperage is what matters not the voltage

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I tried seeing what the starter was getting and I put the positive end to the starter and the negative to ground and when I tried to start it it only showed 3.63 volts to the starter. I tried jumping it to make sure it wasn't the battery. I'm now going to check the wire to the starter and the connections for corrosion. All and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
X3 yikes. WTF is that. LOL like that's no big deal and move on to starter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the very first thing I would do, is PUT OIL IN IT. They do not run well without oil!!! It also sound like you have a battery problem. I would charge the battery or replace it if it is old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine did the same thing when the battery ran down from the lights being on. The instruments would shut off and nothing would click. Put the charger on it and it worked.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts