Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband got his 2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 a few months ago and I would like to buy a few accessories for him for his birthday. I know so little about what is important, but I'd really like to make it a surprise. Can you guys answer two things for me?

#1. What accessories would you like to have first? bumpers? racks for the top and back? some kind of storage? something else?

#2. I know from reading the forums that everyone likes the Guru bumpers. My question here is - - do most guys prefer the look/function of having the expanded metal? or prefer without? For me, the expanded metal doesn't look that great - -but I love them otherwise. Then again, what do I know?

Help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You can't go wrong with bumpers and/or racks. More info might help the decision though. What is the atv used for? What type of riding or trails?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Mostly used for riding in the woods, bottom of our creek bed, lots of trail riding. Nothing abusive yet, and likely not anytime soon since it is new.
Thank you for any help/suggestions...

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Winch if he doesn't already have one. then it's either bumpers or storage. if you would like to ride with him, get a trunk/seat combo.

For rider comfort it's hand guards, heated grips/throttle (these don't carry the price tag that bumpers and storage do.

I'm all about vehicle protection. Skid plates and bumpers help keep everything else working and looking well.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would get storage first ..so he can take emergency items along...like a tire plug kit...tools..first aid...water....things to get you home if need be....

Second would be a winch...get you unstuck when alone...

Third ..hand guards..thats my next purchase...sux pulling pricker bush thorns out all night...loll

last get him front an rear bumpers...or you can get a bumper with the winch mount in it...

but his safety first..then the machine....

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks! Mostly used for riding in the woods, bottom of our creek bed, lots of trail riding. Nothing abusive yet, and likely not anytime soon since it is new.
After reading the word "woods", my thoughts are to add the expanded metal you asked about originally. Help keep branches, sticks, ect off of the grill and head lights. But it all depends on his taste too!

I too would say some of the best accessories are front and rear bumpers, rear storage box, a winch and new tires.

Good luck deciding.... your husband will be very surprised indeed!! I know I would (and have been)!

Edit/note: Just a thought, but check with Thor @ the ATVSuperstore.com (also member here).... he carries both the Guru and Viking (very very similar too the Guru) bumpers. I doubt he'd be disappointed in the Viking with the laser cut Polaris logo either.... very sharp looking!!

Link: http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/Sportsman-XP-Front-Bumper-p/941-viking-front.htm

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Winch first, then A arm guards, then bumpers, then storage.

You will need a winch far before any thing else and A arm guards protect the axle boots.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You have any sisters?:veryhappy:
Kidding.....

Not necessarily an accessory but the best thing I did for my wheeler was buy new tires.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought tires and winch first and very glad i did. Hand guards are awesome i would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I like the tires idea, but they are such a personal preference type of item it's hard to buy as a surprise. unless of course he's been talking about tires that he wants to get. I think for your purposes, the small things are better. Hand guards, heated grips/throttle. Skid plates would be ok if he doesn't already have them mainly because there's really on one choice (ricochet). bumpers would come after that then storage or tires after that. because of the large number of options in the last three it's best to let him decide which ones he wants.

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
guru bumpers are the bomb, just put a set on for christmas with all the expanded metal john could fit on them. me, i wouldnt think of riding a new quad with out full skids so that would be my first purchase. then front n rear bumpers but, the winch goes behind the bumpers so one might want to throw that on before the bumpers. racks and storage would be next on the list. and finally as far as bigger purchases tires.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My wife and I have are own quads. I bought these for her and she loves them. Polaris rear storage box, seat pad, rear view mirrors, tank and side bags for her extra stuff and Polaris front and rear bumpers. The next item will be a winch for her. But I would let him pick out what tires and maybe we'll see you might want to get later!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just got her a Polaris rear seat pad for her the storage box so when we stop to you have lunch she can sit back right on the quad and rest her back?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Winch first, then A arm guards, then bumpers, then storage.

You will need a winch far before any thing else and A arm guards protect the axle boots.
Just switch the order of the winch and a arm guards and that's perfect. The CV boots are the weak point when riding through brush and such. Get a full set of Ricochets for about $160 and you can ride through hell itself without worry.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Where are you at? My woods are probably a little different than your woods. Location would be helpful.
My first addition (after the plow) was rack extension and storage. A tire repair kit is a must. And you need other extras like a good first aid kit. If it's new and he is taking it easy you can add bumpers & winch etc later as he gains experience. He'll be able to tell what he needs for his application once he gets used to it and gets it broken in.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Your best gift would be Ricochet A-arm guards. Even if he dont know much about them they will save both of you alot of money in the long run as far as repairs (Take a look at the back side of the wheels on his atv. You will see rubber boots that are on the drive axles. These tear very easy and are a pain/expensive to repair). The next thing would be a rear storage box or bag. You should buy him one that has a seat built into it if you might want to ride with him. If you live in cold climates a set of insulated coveralls would help keep him warm, but may keep him out longer too, lol...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Something not mentioned, but could be a good gift. Riding gear. Now that winter is here (not so much for me in California:veryhappy:) nothing can put a damper on a ride like being freezing cold. You already know his size, and anything that looks like his style would work. Just a thought.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Honestly, my wife and I decided years ago that we would quit guessing about what each other wanted.

Go on Amazon, create an account (if you don't already have one), and put everything you want on your wish list. Have him do the same. You can even download a plug-in for your web browser from Amazon that lets you add items to your Amazon wish list from other websites. Puts a link to the product right there on the wish list. No guessing, no hassles. I have 3 wish lists just for me, one for ATV stuff, one for truck stuff, and one for other odds and ends I want (like that SigSauer 716 FDE over on BudsGuns, that web browser plug-in is very handy).

As far as what accessories to add first, everybody has their own opinion, here's my list in order of priority.

Storage and Essential Gear
- Helmet
- Goggles
- Gloves
- First aid kit
- Tow Strap
- Tow hitch ball mount (don't need a ball, just need something he can use to pull/get pulled out, you don't want to put that much stress on the receiver hitch safety loops)
- Tire plug kit/mini air compressor
- Tool kit
- Some type of storage to hold it all, if he has a front cargo box, all of that will fit in there. If not, have him pick out what he likes, put a few options on his wish list, and you pick.
- Riding clothes. I wear Carhartt arctic bibs and jacket and Baffin boots when I ride in the winter. If it's raining, I wear Grundens PVC bibs and jacket. I wear Under Armor ColdGear base layer, fleece middle layer, and either the Carhartt or Grundens. In the warmer months, I just wear a fleece pullover shirt and chest waders over Under Armor ColdGear pants. We tend to find deep holes and hip waders always want to come unsnapped and stay in the thick mud when you pull your foot up.

Winch
- For a quad as big as your husband's, you'll likely want around 3000lbs winch. Any smaller and it may or may not be able to stand up to repeated use over time.
- Tree saver strap
- Snatch block
- Couple of tow shackles or Petzl carabiners (36Kn or higher rating)

Bumpers and guards
- Lots of good options from ATVGuru, Viking, and Moose, this is another place the wish list comes in handy.
- A-arm guards and full-body skid plates are a must for any type of rocky terrain. Ricochet is the top-dog in that department.

Tires
- It's really dealer's choice here... It's going to depend on what type of riding he discovers he enjoys, what type of trail conditions he'll be riding, even what type of weather you have in the winter and whether he'll be plowing... All of that will determine what type of tires he'll need, possibly wheels as well. Just be sure you/he does good research on tires, a lot of brands and models run a bit small or a bit big (as compared to the advertised height), depending on the tire company.

Clutch Kit
- Once he upgrades tires, he'll soon want to upgrade his clutch to get the best performance out of his machine. QSC, EPI, and Dalton are three of the big names that come to mind. Ridinagain (member here on the forum) is a dealer for QSC and can build you a truly custom kit based on engine, modifications, tire sizes, riding style, etc... He's who I'll be buying my clutch through in a few months.

Rider comfort
- Hand/thumb warmers, windshield, etc. He'll determine his need for these type of things as he rides. It's all personal preference.

Unless he's going to get real crazy with it and put on a lift kit, snorkel, axles, and other really high-performance stuff, then that's pretty much where the list ends.

If you have a question about something I've listed, quote it and reply, I'll look up a link or two to get you some detailed information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts