Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have a 2005 sportsman 500. Doing some work the fuel line popped off and is hanging from the carb. Yes, it’s leaking gas like crazy! Can’t seem to find where this goes to. Anyone have any ideas? It’s the clear 1/8” line in the photo. Thanks

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
That clear line is the drain line for the carb float bowl and appears to be attached to the nipple on the bottom of the float bowl where it should be. Turn the petcock off and it will quit leaking - or remove the carb and service it. What kind of work were you doing prior to the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. So the other end just hangs loose? It’s connected to the carb and just hanging. Seemed odd, but I don’t know enough about these. I was just replacing the front lower ball joints and rear wheel bearings. Nothing mechanical or with the lines at all. I was underneath pulling one of the ball joints and saw gas leaking out.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
The filter looking thing is a check valve - it's for letting gas out and not letting water in

It's not uncommon for gas to spill out of the carb especially when working on it - shut the fuel off when you park it and the problem may not happen again - the petcock is there for shutting the fuel off as instructed in the owners manual

1 - 6 of 6 Posts