Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently joined a sportsman club that has many acres of trail riding. After doing some research I decided that the Polaris is the machine for me. I went to the local dealership and found 2 that I am interested in.

My main usage will be some weekend trail riding (I don't think it's too rough outside of a lot of mud), hauling firewood and letting my grandkids have some fun with it.

My choices are:

Used 2012 800 with power steering, roof and windshield. I think it also has larger than stock tires on it. The original owner bought an extended warranty with it that has 2 years left on it. He is a middle aged farmer that mostly used it around the farm and wanted to upgrade. It has 3000 miles on it and has been fully serviced.

New 2014 570 Ranger which is pretty much bare bones. It does have EFI.

The price is close to the same for both (just under $10k) but the salesman made sure I knew that the price on the used 800 was the ASKING price so I'm sure I can get it cheaper. (I'm not sure what a good offer would be)

I plan on buying one in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
2 entirely different machines the 800 is a side by side (SxS) and the 570 is a quad. Me I'm a buy it brand new out of the crate or just off the truck new if I didn't special order it kind of person so I'm going for the 570. Also the 800 has a lot of miles and it's a SxS. I would also personally address the excessive heat issue on the 570 before I ever took it out on the trail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2 entirely different machines the 800 is a side by side (SxS) and the 570 is a quad. Me I'm a buy it brand new out of the crate or just off the truck new if I didn't special order it kind of person so I'm going for the 570. Also the 800 has a lot of miles and it's a SxS. I would also personally address the excessive heat issue on the 570 before I ever took it out on the trail.
Side by side and quad? Isn't a quad the one you straddle and have handlebars? They are both identical except the 570 is a bit smaller. It's a Ranger. I edited my original post to reflect that. I will say though brand new is pretty appealing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
They make a 570 razor also. I was confused at first as well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Brand new is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
here is how I see it. The reason people trade machines in is because A, the want more, or B, they've had issues with it. and the rare C, they just plain didn't enjoy that machine.

with the 800, there isn't much more to want. especially if you're talking about a ranger sure you can get the newer 900, but for the practical farmer side, that's not much of an upgrade. as you really don't get any more usefulness out of it. so either he just didn't like that machine (3000 miles sounds to me like he liked it) or he had issues with it, and even under warranty didn't want to have to deal with them anymore.

if it were my choice I'd go new.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It has 3000 miles on it and has been fully serviced.

The price is close to the same for both (just under $10k)
10k is Way too much for a 4yr old machine w/3000 miles, i usually go used but in this case I'd do new too. Luck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
id go new. for your purposes it will work just as well and not use as much fuel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts