Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an electrical problem with my 1994 300 4x4 that is affecting shifting / 4x4 / and the override switch. It seems to go randamly between 3 'modes', and I can't tell what makes it change from one to the other. I'll do my best to describe each mode/situation. They are not listed in any particular order:

A) Best Mode: Everything works properly: shifts in and out of reverse fine. Goes into 4x4 fine. Override switch works fine.

B) Worst Mode: engine will kill immediately if you shift into reverse without holding override. if you hold in override while in reverse, engine barely runs (its extremely rev limited), won't run enough to physically back up. While it is "in this mode" and if you are in neutral or forward gear, when/if you press the override the engine bogs waaaay down.

C) In between mode: won't go into 4x4 (the 4x4 light goes on when you push the button, but goes off if you let go of button), but otherwise seems to run fine. But if you hit override button the "R" (reverse) light indicator comes on (even if not actually in reverse).

I have not been been able to figure out what makes it go from one "mode" to another or how to fix it. I've been searching and reading a lot and figure it must be somehow or somewhat related to the rev limiter or override switch.

Really hoping someone can help me diagnose this!!??!! Please?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been reading/searching a lot, seems like there are a lot of issues with this system (rev limiter / reverse override ). I'm seeing a lot of suggestion to ' remove the black wire ' from the CDI or the Rev limiter. Have questions:

- Can someone give more explanation on which wire and where to find it (think it is up front somewhere near headlight, but under plastic)?

- If I do remove this wire, does it simply remover the rev limiter and reverse override function?

- If removing this wire eliminates the issue and if want to fix problem and maintain stock function of limiter, how would i test to isolate source of problem (i'm assuming it would either be bad limiter itself or some problem in the switches)

Any help will be appreciated

1 - 2 of 2 Posts