Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, first time poster here. This is sort of long so please bare with me. I need some help trying to figure out what is wrong with this quad. It all started when I took off the stock exhaust to put on an HMF slip-on and Uni filter. All of that went perfectly fine up until the re-jet. I was re-jetting with the help of a buddy that knows quads pretty well. We took out the crab and put in a 155 main jet like HMF recommended. (Yes it was a Mikuni jet) Ran it for a little while and saw that it was cutting out in the top end, which we thought meant rich, took the plug out and it was sure enough black. Went down to a 152.5, and the same exact thing happened. Went BACK down to the 150 and he thought it was still a little too rich so he moved the clip on the needle. He thought it was fine so we left it. I thought it was a little weird that it was LEANER than stock, but whatever. Take it out, let it idle for a few minutes, idles completely fine for those few minutes, then just dies. Sounded like you had just turned the key off. Now I can't get it started again. I tried new gas, new plug, new oil, everything seemed fine in the carb, nothing. Last night I went out again to try and figure it out. I pulled the plug to check the spark and it does have spark. Then I thought the motor might not be getting fuel, I then sprayed starting fluid straight into the carb and with every crank, the carb would spit gas (or starting fluid) back out of the carb. I put some fuel in a pop cap and poured it directly into the spark plug hole and it still wouldn't fire. It doesn't even sound like it wants to start. I haven't checked compression yet because I don't have a compression checker, but I did put my finger down the hole to make a plug and the compression didn't feel very high at all. I figured it would have blown my finger out of the hole. Does anybody have any clue as to what I should do next? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts