Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. new to the forum and learned a lot reading all your Q&A's

(this is my first wheeler and never worked on before)
I recently got a 95 250 trail boss ...when you take off too fast it sounds like it coming apart , i checked the chain and it was very loose so i tightened it up but still does it. both sprockets look ok . i ha dmy son give it gas while i was watching the fron srocket it is not skipping their... any help? please...
ray b

by the way in reverse it does not slip or make the noise...

i oiled chain and it moves free..
when it makes the clunk noise, it is slipping hand have to let off fuel and then go slow. try to take off going up hill...forget it . i have to go in rev. to get to level ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I am having the same problem with my 03 Trailboss 330. I took the tranfer case apart and found nothing wrong. Mine sounds like it is coming out of there. I was just wondering if you found out anything about fixing yours? Mine also does not do it in reverse.

·
Registered
441 Posts
check your sprockets again , look at the front real good . check your axle bearings too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like front sprocket to me. Really gotta look good at them if you are not acustomed to seeing a bad one. Polaris chains look beefy, but they lleave litle to be desired. Go aftermarket.
Gotta remember, reverse uses the opposite side of the teeth, so it most likely will not skip even though the sprocket is bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone help with this problem?

1990 Trail 350 2 Stroke. Took it for a short ride and it started ok, ran ok for 1/2 mile then got doggy. By the time I got to a freinds 2 miles away, I had all I could do to do 15 mph and when I stopped so did the machine. I think it might be running to rich but can't get it started again to adjust the carb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello, I too am having the same or similar problem with my newly acquired 1996 250 Trailblazer and want to keep this thread fresh. I too am having a terrible noise (sounds like chain slipping on sprocket) coming from the trans area when going forward. no noise in reverse and no noise if I go real slow in forward. If I hold the back brake on and try to "powerbrake" it I will get the noise so I'm pretty sure its coming from inside trans.

So my questions are:
Is this a common problem?
What could be damaged inside to cause these symptoms?
How big of a job is it to pull and disassemble trans?
If I look for a used trans what years will interchange with my 96?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Inspect the rollers on the chain. The old silver colored chain Polaris used was awesome but the new gold colored chain is nothing but junk. The gold colored chain was prone to wear out fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you referring to the internal chain in the transmission? The noise is definitely inside the trans. I bought a used tranny and am waiting for it to arrive. After I get the old one apart I will update this post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I finally fixed the problem! Hope it helps others. I knew the noise was coming from the trans so I took mine apart and seen that the "silent chain" was wore out. I bought a used tranny from Ebay hoping I could just swap it and ride. When The Ebay one arrived I took apart just to see how loose the chain was and it was just as bad as mine. Needless to say I ended up just rebuilding mine. It was easy and pretty inexpensive. Its running great now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally fixed the problem! Hope it helps others. I knew the noise was coming from the trans so I took mine apart and seen that the "silent chain" was wore out. I bought a used tranny from Ebay hoping I could just swap it and ride. When The Ebay one arrived I took apart just to see how loose the chain was and it was just as bad as mine. Needless to say I ended up just rebuilding mine. It was easy and pretty inexpensive. Its running great now!
What was the webcite you found your parts on I am having the same problem with my 96 trailboss 250 thankyou

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Try rockymoutainatv.com and search for part 3233111

1 - 12 of 12 Posts