Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to Polaris ATVs. Up until now i was always a kawasaki guy but decided to try something new. I own a 2008 Polaris 500 H.O. EFI. It was performing perfect up until i got it out of the building the other day. The atv had performed perfect on the previous ride and showed no indications of breaking down. Then, i got it out of the building and started it, the atv revved pretty high upon starting then went very low in rpm's and died. It did this repeatedly. It runs fine as long as im on the gas steady, but as soon as i let off it tries to backfire and eventually shuts off when it hits low rpm! any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I always start with the simple stuff.

How much free play does your throttle cable have in the lever, and can you tell if it has gotten caught up on something that would pull it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Try adjusting the ETC so you have about an eighth of an inch of play on the throttle before it starts to move the cable.

1. Slide boot off throttle cable adjuster and jam nut (this is in the cable about 4-6 inches from the throttle).
2. Place shift selector in neutral and set parking brake.
3. Loosen lock nut on in-line cable adjuster
4. Turn adjuster until 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch of freeplay is achieved at thumb lever. After making adjustments, quickly actuate the thumb lever several times and reverify freeplay.
5. Tighten lock nut securely and slide boot completely in place to ensure a water-resistant seal.
6. Turn handlebars from left to right through the entire turning range. If idle speed increases, check for proper cable
routing. If cable is routed properly and in good condition, repeat adjustment procedure.

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts