Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on installing a Polaris plow on my 2007 Sportsman
500. At the shop they made it sound a real challenge to install the hangers myself. Sounded like the radiator could be damaged etc. Any hints or advice welcom. Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure what plow you have, but I just insatlled a Glacier 1 on mine and it was pretty easy.. 4 bolts and it was on...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Looking for information on installing a Polaris plow on my 2007 Sportsman
500. At the shop they made it sound a real challenge to install the hangers myself. Sounded like the radiator could be damaged etc. Any hints or advice welcom. Bob
west40,

It's not that difficult to install. However, make sure if you get the Glacier II, you get it with the new REINFORCED mounting plate. If you get the older style, chances are you will bend it up... trust me... I know.

Even with the new mount, there's no guarantee. It's a pretty lightweight system compared to others.

Anyhow, if you still want the Glacier II (and I really hope I talked you out of it) here is a link to the Moose RM3 (which is the same system).

At the bottom of the page on the left side, click on 45010151

That will load the installation manual for Sportsman's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again; So what is the difference in the glacier l and ll? I had just thought it was the newer version and dealer gave no info on the G l. Maybe I need more research. How is the G l holding up for you?? Bob

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Glacier I is a mid mount (back under the frame around the footrests or so). The Glacier II is the quick mount to the front of the ATV. Personally, I think the mid mounts are tougher and more dependable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
West-- Do some more reserch.. From what I found the Glacier 2 is not well built. Lot's of problems with parts bending.. Check out the other forums lot's of info from guy's that have them... Good luck..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a glacier 1 on a 98 SP 500 and now have the glacier 2 on my 08 SP 500 There is NO comparision. The glacier 2 is thin and cheap.

The only claim to fame for the glacier 2 is you don't loose any ground clearance and don't have to remove the mount in the summer to regain the clearance. Well I've been on both sides and I say go with the mid-frame mount system.

My old one was twice to three times as well built. If you haven't made your buy yet then get a moose or other with the under frame mount system. They are much stronger.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had a glacier 1 on a 98 SP 500 and now have the glacier 2 on my 08 SP 500 There is NO comparision. The glacier 2 is thin and cheap.

The only claim to fame for the glacier 2 is you don't loose any ground clearance and don't have to remove the mount in the summer to regain the clearance. Well I've been on both sides and I say go with the mid-frame mount system.

My old one was twice to three times as well built. If you haven't made your buy yet then get a moose or other with the under frame mount system. They are much stronger.
Couldn't agree more with everything you said. The Eagle system has a quick removable pivot point that takes about a minute to take off when the plowing season is over. Loosen the four bolts, slide it forward an inch or so, and it drops out. The mounting plate that stays on the frame makes a nice skid plate in that area.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

I have the G3, nice well built plow. The blade mounts on at the front as well as the mid point, a much better set up then other plows.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the G3, nice well built plow. The blade mounts on at the front as well as the mid point, a much better set up then other plows.
Agreed. I had a GII on my 800 have the G3 on the XP more mount points and it pushes from mid point. Oh and install is bone stupid easy, that's probably why its hard for the guys at the dealership...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts