Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2013 Sportsman 500 HO that I plan to get fitted with a plow before the snow starts flying. Actually the main reason I bought it was for a plow maching this winter.

I am actually plannning on building my own plow as I have most of the materials I need and can source most everything else for cheap. The trouble I am having is determining the best way to mount the plow to the machine. I have done a little reading and searching on here on front mounts and mid-mounts. I think a front mount will work best for my application, I am just haven't been able to figure out the best way to mount to the machine.

Anybody have some pictures of a front-mount on a machine or possibly a link to some install instructions or something I could use?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I also plan on building my own, but I'm going to copy the Glacier 3 mounting system. It's a hybrid front/mid mount quick connect system. minimal Ground clearance loss. as far as I can tell it's the best of both worlds. but to each their own. really it's going to come down to making the blade and blade mount than determining the push frame and mounting system once you've got the blade there to determine the best set up.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive got a totally different machine from you but I had to experiment to get the mount to fit to the front of mine.

Ill take a picture of mine and post it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also plan on building my own, but I'm going to copy the Glacier 3 mounting system. It's a hybrid front/mid mount quick connect system. minimal Ground clearance loss. as far as I can tell it's the best of both worlds. but to each their own. really it's going to come down to making the blade and blade mount than determining the push frame and mounting system once you've got the blade there to determine the best set up.

I think I will be doing something similar. I have done a lot more searching and finally came up with some pics. Not really a big fan of how some of them bolt into the bottom of the front diff. That is an expensive part to replace it something goes wrong there. Crawled under it Saturday and really examined the frame and came up with a good system I think.

I've got the blade and blade mount designed, just need to start cutting steel and build it. Got a good idea on the mount, just need to transfer some ideas to paper with measurements there. Oncce those pieces are built it should be easy to connect the two with a push frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got a totally different machine from you but I had to experiment to get the mount to fit to the front of mine.

Ill take a picture of mine and post it up.
Thanks, any pics would be great. Might get a new idea or figure out a better way to do it.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I will try and get pics for you guys this weekend!

Here is a shot of the mount before I installed it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been a bit busy, so I have not secured the mount onto the exact location but it will be front mounted. Once its finished ill post a picture of the quad complete with blade.

This is the first time i've done anything like this so its simple and nothing fancy :

mount 1.jpg mount 3.jpg

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The sign of the good engineer is the simplicity of his design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Moose County plow 60 inch on Craigslist for 250 bucks. It's like new and the guy gave me a set of tire chains too. I was gonna break out the welder also till I saw the Craigslist add. It's a belly mount not the front mount.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nearly done. It has a manual lift so will need to come up with something to attach the lift handle to.

Will be keeping an eye out for a winch on fleabay as the manual lift looks like it could be a pain !

quad blade 2 on bike.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't had time to check in here for a couple days. The mount looks good. I sent my steel parts and stuff to the laser to get cut last night with some other stuff I was working on. Should have everything back early next week I hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally had time to get the welder out and start putting stuff together last night. Almost done with the plow itself then I just need make the parts to mount it to.
I have a good idea on how I want to do this but if anybody else has some pics I wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

Thanks,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got it mostly finished up and made a few test pushes with it last night. Going to need to find some beefier springs for the edge trip and re-inforce a couple spots. Other than that it looks like it should work well. I will try to get it out in the light in the next day or two and take a couple of pics.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
we definitely need pictures. both of the product, and the results.

what springs did you use for the trip?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we definitely need pictures. both of the product, and the results.

what springs did you use for the trip?
I just grabbed a couple springs that I had around that I thought would be heavy enough. Not so much the case and then when they did trip all the way the springs were over extended. Heading home from with a little heavier and a little longer spring today.

Looks like there might be a little more snow to push around Saturday here so I will get out and take some pics in action, hopefully during the daylight. Here is a teaser pic:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts