Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO. It already had a Polaris 2500 winch on it. After already having over a foot of snow on the ground, I am thinking that I should probably get a plow for my ATV. I have been looking at the posts so far and it looks like since we get a lot of snow here in northern Wisconsin,I should probably get a front mount plow, since it will lift the plow higher for bigger banks. I'm wondering what size. Will my 500 have enough power to plow 6-8 inches of snow with a 60" plow or should I stick to a 54"? Also, I would really like to get something that allows me to turn the plow without having to get off and pull a pin and rotate the plow. What does everyone recommend for that option? I would also like to be able to take the plow on and off easily, since I use my ATV out on the ice for ice fishing and don't want to lug the plow around out there. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You should be good with a 60".
I have a warn mid mount on my 500. Be careful of the front mount if you are going to do a lot of plowing, some of them are really flimsy and do not hold up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a plow (too)...

I recently got a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO. It already had a Polaris 2500 winch on it. After already having over a foot of snow on the ground, I am thinking that I should probably get a plow for my ATV. I have been looking at the posts so far and it looks like since we get a lot of snow here in northern Wisconsin,I should probably get a front mount plow, since it will lift the plow higher for bigger banks. I'm wondering what size. Will my 500 have enough power to plow 6-8 inches of snow with a 60" plow or should I stick to a 54"? Also, I would really like to get something that allows me to turn the plow without having to get off and pull a pin and rotate the plow. What does everyone recommend for that option? I would also like to be able to take the plow on and off easily, since I use my ATV out on the ice for ice fishing and don't want to lug the plow around out there. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too:
I just put a 54" plow on my 700EFI X2 - along with a 2500 lb winch. Got both from Moto Alliance (Moto Alliance). The plow is (I think) made there and the winch is imported, but as you will see by doing some searching on here, they take good care of their customers.

Mine is a three point system: Two pins on the frame mount, and the clevis from the plow strap (if you get the system from Moto you get a strap - not cable).

I have been trying to learn how to post pictures, but I'm not that savvy yet!

·
Registered
49 Posts
To post a picture click on the "MY Account" tab above and start an album, upload pictures from your computer there, then Copy and past the link in your post

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been pushing with my front mount 54" eagle plow for a few years now. My only regret is not getting the 60". I initially got it to plow a short bit of alley behind my house. Now I plow a huge circular driveway and clear a much larger area than before. I wish I had a 60"incher. The front mount hangs rather low and I take mine off when I go wheel for fun. I also had to modify my mount to go over my full skid plate. The setup itself is stout, easy on and off. I would buy another if needed.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have plowed 25" of snow without chains. It was a chore....but we gotter dun!
I have the 60" Polaris plow.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My front mount Polaris Glacier II+ has worked flawlessly. There is nothing flimsy about it! The Mounting plate is heavy duty steel and bolts to the front frame and further back to the center of the frame. The is no reduction in ground clearance and makes a great skid plate also.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i have a 60" eagle plow on my 2013 sportsman 500ho. so far we have only got 6" of snow, but it was moved just fine in 2wd on stock tires. the 60" will still cover the wheel base with it angled which really does help with steering and not packing the snow.

one way to rotate the blade with out getting off is to find a long bike hand break cable and use it to pull the pin then just drive into the snow to turn it. i have seen kits but they are way to expensive, like 75-$100.

i have a video that shows how the plow mounts and how its built that im going to upload. might end up being a slient movie though since i cant find a microphone lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a Swisher Plow from Fleet Farm. It has 1 pin to remove plow from mount. 2 pins and a bolt in the hitch to remove the mount, but the mount can stay on most of the time. All of it is very easy to take down and off can drop everything in 5 minutes.

It has a rope to release lock for moving plow side to side I also hooked up a rope on each side of the blade I can pull it from the seat to turn the blade. Works really good can post picks if anyone is interested.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the 52" glacier front mount plow system and it works great. my driveway is mid size (75 feet) and the other day i plowed 15 cm of wet snow after the snow changed to rain it was hard at times but worked good once you got moving. 2005 sportsman 500 its always hard when its wet no matter what your plowing with

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Canderson, I would be interested in seeing some pics if you get a chance to post them. Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the Swisher plow I have this on my 09 Touring 800, but I did use it on a 95 Xplorer 400L also it is only a 50" but it does the job I live in the country and have a T shaped driveway with the base of the T coming in from the road to the right is the garage to the left the house, with about 150 feet from house to garage. Also plow half of yard into our field just to keep enough room.

This is the whole setup

Red rope pulls the lock to swivel blade

Have ropes on each side to pull blade from seat.

One pin to unmount blade you can also see the pins on the leafs to unhitch front of mount

One bolt at the rear of the wheeler to mount the back of the mount

Whole thing is just one frame suspended by leafs up front in brackets off the A-Arms.

This setup works pretty good I leave the A-arm mounts on year round then just put in 2 pins and a bolt and the frame is on. 1 more pin and the blade is on.

Here is the link for Swisher I see you can get a 62" Blade also. Also have a dump bucket and other attachments that work with the universal frame mount.
ATV/UTV Accessories

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the Swisher plow I have this on my 09 Touring 800, but I did use it on a 95 Xplorer 400L also it is only a 50" but it does the job I live in the country and have a T shaped driveway with the base of the T coming in from the road to the right is the garage to the left the house, with about 150 feet from house to garage. Also plow half of yard into our field just to keep enough room.

This is the whole setup

Red rope pulls the lock to swivel blade

Have ropes on each side to pull blade from seat.

One pin to unmount blade you can also see the pins on the leafs to unhitch front of mount

One bolt at the rear of the wheeler to mount the back of the mount

Whole thing is just one frame suspended by leafs up front in brackets off the A-Arms.

This setup works pretty good I leave the A-arm mounts on year round then just put in 2 pins and a bolt and the frame is on. 1 more pin and the blade is on.

Here is the link for Swisher I see you can get a 62" Blade also. Also have a dump bucket and other attachments that work with the universal frame mount.
ATV/UTV Accessories
It looks like your plow has reins! I have a rope to pull the lever in the center, but I just ease into the snowbank to turn the plow. The rope is definitely faster than getting on and off constantly. I have a U-shaped driveway and then plow the gravel road down to the paved road. Our gravel road isn't county maintained. Mine has 2 pins, one across the front and one in back. The drawbar goes all the way to the rear like yours does. Old Polaris style mount circa 2002. : )

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Depends on how much you have to plow,if it is a lot go with 60'' and country plow.
I own a 60'' country plow and earn even money with this setup.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts