Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Attached are a few pictures I took of the plow today to show the lower lip where the wear bar bolts on. You can see where the back of the plow is boxed that it's bare metal inside and it's started to rust already. Also the face of the plow is poorly painted, it has some bad orange peel effect to it. It's not smooth at all. I can see snow really sticking to it.

Can anyone with a Warn provantage plow tell me if they also have a gap at the bottom of their plow?

Thanks,
I'll check mine in the morning when I get home from work, that's definately not right, looks like the bottom of the moldboard should be recessed a little further back flush with the side support. Kinda looks like it got dropped off the shelf on the corner and split the welds. Like I said, I'll get back to you in the morning with my findings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks bd1326, I would really appreciate that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's just poor quality there. I would sent it back and get something else. There is no way they should have missed that before shipping it. The paint should be smooth, however some snow is going to stick anyway. Mine came powder coated, nice and smooth. I just put on a good coat of Canuba Wax before the season. I also clean it good lubricate it and wax it for storage too. I have read on here some guys use some kind of spray to prevent sticking also, just cant remember what it's called.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
That's just poor quality there. I would sent it back and get something else. There is no way they should have missed that before shipping it. The paint should be smooth, however some snow is going to stick anyway. I just put on a good coat of Canuba Wax before the season. I also clean it good lubricate it and wax it for storage too. I have read on here some guys use some kind of spray to prevent sticking also, just cant remember what it's called.
Fluid film maybe?

Do you rewax much during plow season?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Cooking spray works quite well.
And, yeah, that plow is jacked. Mine looks nothing like that !! At least it happened before you needed it! When I bought mine it was missing a ton of hardware and there was 6" on the way, so I got to shovel with a 400$ plow sitting in my garage. Hope it goes smooth on the return!!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
311 Posts
BTW, what machine do you have and which mounting option did you go with? I have a 2007 800 Sportsman with the front mount. I found out that the main mount crossmember makes it difficult to fill the front diff, or at least remove the fill plug. I would suggest changing the front diff fluid before mounting the plow mount. I have to disassemble the plow mount to do the fluid change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for all the maintenance tips.
Star: Do you use the paste or liquid wax? Does it make a difference?

I'll be calling the place I bought it from in the morning. I can't believe they wouldn't spray some paint underneath the boxed part behind the blade.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
bd1326: I have a 2006 Sportsman 800. I went with the mid mount because when I looked up the options on the Warn site it didn't show a front mount for my machine. However when I looked up my machine through their parts look up, it listed the front mount. The owner of the shop I was dealing with was willing to order it and return it if it did not fit, however the cost was about twice as much as the mid mount so I went with that option and spared the hassle of going back and forth. Which didn't seem to be the case anyways. lol.

I also chose the provantage line versus the value line since it can be converted to a bucket, however you need the front mount. Also it's "supposed" to be built better.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's just poor quality there. I would sent it back and get something else. There is no way they should have missed that before shipping it. The paint should be smooth, however some snow is going to stick anyway. I just put on a good coat of Canuba Wax before the season. I also clean it good lubricate it and wax it for storage too. I have read on here some guys use some kind of spray to prevent sticking also, just cant remember what it's called.
Fluid film maybe?

Do you rewax much during plow season?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
Yes that's it, Fluid Film. No just wax it before the first snow. Seems to last long enough.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks for all the maintenance tips.
Star: Do you use the paste or liquid wax? Does it make a difference?

I'll be calling the place I bought it from in the morning. I can't believe they wouldn't spray some paint underneath the boxed part behind the blade.
I use the paste wax seems to last longer.
That thing is probably welded together long before it ever gets painted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
bd1326: Thank you again for taking the time to snap a few pictures and post them.

So I called the place I purchased it from and he told me that he will get another one ordered right away. He asked for some pictures (which I sent right away) so that he can get an RMA for the return. He also said that if the new one comes and the paint isn't smooth that he can't do anything about it. I explained to him that I am very reasonable and won't have an issue with a rough spot here or there but when most of the face of the plow has a rough surface like this one does that I will not accept it as I am not purchasing scrap metal. I am purchasing a product which should have a decent finish and should stand up to rough conditions. So if welds break because I hit a rough spot on pavement or a curb within reason, it is not acceptable if the product fails (I am not talking about abusing the item). His concern is with him having to absorb shipping costs to ship it back over the boarder. As far as I'm concerned he needs to work that out with WARN. When I asked him if he gets re-reimbursed by WARN for shipping, he said well yeah but there are other costs involved which is part of doing business. He just wants to make sure I'm not going to complain if the paint is not 100% perfect as he can not guarantee that. I again assured him that I am not unreasonable. He agreed with my comments and said he will contact WARN to ship another one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The replacement plow blade came in and what a difference. The bottom seam isn't just tack welded, the entire seam is welded. Also the paint job is much better. Also it has decals on the back that say it's provantage vs only having the WARN decal.

The dealer told me that he spoke to someone at the warehouse and had them inspect one before shipping it. However, when it arrived it was missing one of the skid shoes and the box was torn and damaged and the blade had a little scratch in the corner but it wasn't just chipped. It looks like it was scrapped on something. Anyways that was very minor so I took the missing hardware out of the one I was supposed to return and made the swap. Now I just need to get some time to mount it.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I got around to putting the plow together and what I can not figure out is how the winch cable connects to the push tube. I know it comes down and loops around the rope guide (red circle in image) and is supposed to connect to the rear cross member (green circle in image) but the hole in the rear cross member is way too small for the winch hook. It's only big enough for a bolt.

Can anyone help with this step? This is the mid mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same 60" Warn Provantage plow and mount, the hook on mine does fit in mine. How big of a hook is on your winch?
You bought a good heavy duty plow. I'm going on my 3rd year using mine to plow 450ft of driveway's on my property... The plow still looks like new!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will look at my plow when I get home, if I remember correctly there is a large weird shaped hole on the back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks Oldsport. I attached a picture of what mine looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks the same as mine, I just hook into the larger holes on one of the sides so the hook closes and it cant fall off.
I run the winch line out a ways and hook that first, then use the winch to pull the plow under and it will also raise it up and hold it so you can put the pins in.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts